please help me to choose a duck as pet

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nasirjamil93, Aug 17, 2014.

1. nasirjamil93

nasirjamil93 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2014
    i wanted to buy some ducks

But don't have continuous supply of water for them but can arrange a child pool or can even made concrete pool for them after 2-3 months

I love pure white ducks

Please guide me
    What breed should i buy??
    Which shouldn't be much noisy and can live sometime without water

As a read on some websites that ducks can even live without water

2. annarogetta

annarogetta Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2014
    Holden Massachusetts
    If you like white ducks get a pekin or white runner (there are other breeds like white layers too), the males will have a raspy voice, while females have a loud quack. The concept goes for all ducks. You can have ducks without water, just make sure they have a lot of drinking water. Also you need to make sure that they get bathed at least few time a week, especially if you have babies, they need the water to get rid of excess oils they produce. Water is important when mating, without water, eggs will be unfertilized, but that is only important if want breeding females, hope that helps

3. nasirjamil93

Jul 4, 2014
    thanks

pekin ducks are smaller in size than runners???
    I think pekins are easier to handle

the breeding pair need much water for bathing or for drinking to ensure their fertility???

4. annarogetta

annarogetta Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2014
    Holden Massachusetts
    pekins are usually larger in breed, they noted for being the most popular meat for ducks compared to the skinny runner. A lot of people choose pekins because they are very friendly and great pet ducks.
    Water for drinking is important for all ducks, and occasional bathing too
    having a pool (small or large) is where ducks mate usually, it can also help to stimulate them. sorry for the confusion

5. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Runners are taller but thinner. Pekins are louder IMO.
    [​IMG] Here is my white runner.
    [​IMG] These are my Pekins

6. nasirjamil93

Jul 4, 2014
    thanks

What do u say about white cresented??? Or pekin??? or runner???

As this is my 1st experience with ducks

7. nasirjamil93

Jul 4, 2014
    what would be the best option for me???

I justed wanted them as pets and also for eggs but not much

8. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I love my Pekins. They are the best. So friendly. But again they are loud. They lay better than my runners. But runners tend to swim a bit less. In the end you need to chose what works best for your situation.

9. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    White Campbells are a good breed too. Placid, not too loud but they can be quite chatty! Very good layers to boot.

While you may get away without having a pond for them, if you have the space it's worth the effort and expense as ducks LOVE water :)

Edit - try to stay away from crested ducks as although they are cute; the crest is caused by a skull deformity that has been actively bred for - a crime imho

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  10. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Runners can live totally without swimming in water! They can be skittish but if socialized from hatching they can be very calm. They're not that loud, either. Pekins are pure white and can also live without a pond but will need a tub for swimming and can be quite noisy.

Personally I love calls they're super sweet and adorable, but...if you're going for quiet, they ain't it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by