please help me to choose a duck as pet

White Campbells are a good breed too. Placid, not too loud but they can be quite chatty! Very good layers to boot.

While you may get away without having a pond for them, if you have the space it's worth the effort and expense as ducks LOVE water
smile.png

Edit - try to stay away from crested ducks as although they are cute; the crest is caused by a skull deformity that has been actively bred for - a crime imho
I've just recently got 3 Campbell ducklings. And like you I do not have a water supply. I'm planning to use a kids paddling pool or tin bath as they seem to absolutely love the water. I've got them as a pet and to help me remove slugs from the garden. They do lay around 300 eggs each a year, but they are a lovely breed and well worth looking into :D

All ducks should have access to some sort of bathing water, even if it's just A pan they need it to stay healthy and clean. I don't have ponds, rivers or anything elaborate here i use kiddy pools, troughs and pans.. all of these do the job.

If noise and less water need is a concern, i'd try Muscovy, they are the MOST quiet of ducks and due to their less active oil glands are not as water hoggy as other breeds, they do fly though but clipping wings is possible. They lay well and are documented for their fly catching ability as well as tremendous foraging skills.

Last edited:
But muscovies have their downsides, too. Their size, for one - if for any reason you have to chase one down, even one, you're in for one heck of a workout! They're tremendously strong. They're also, well, some people think they're rather ugly with all their caruncles. It's purely an aesthetic choice, though.

There are just SO many choices and factors for each, I can tell why you made this thread! :p

Back
Top Bottom