1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help me trouble shoot. More chicks dying!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sarahandbray, Feb 5, 2015.

1. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    We got 100 chicks in on Monday from McMurray. We are having a rough time keeping them alive!!
    What am I doing wrong? We're down to 87/100 (3 were DOA).
    Large brooder
    Heat lamp (floor temp between 90-95)
    Water with electrolytes and probiotics
    Chick Starter Feed
    Clean litter
    No drafts
    Checking/removing signs of pasty butt 2X daily

Most are eating and drinking so well!! But then, here and there one dies! Agh!
    Right now I have one who's eyes are shut, kind of bubbling/foaming and not doing well.
    What other things could be causing chicks to die? I think I'm up to 10/20 Blue Andalusians dead. Could this batch be infected with something? I have paperwork from McMurray saying they were vaccinated for both diseases, but they forgot all of my supplies i ordered (gro-gel, Quik Chik, heat packs) so is it possible these chicks have Cocci and weren't vaccinated?
    I know something's not right. I shouldn't be losing more chicks after having them since Monday, right???

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When baby chicks die, it's rarely a disease. There's simply not time for a disease to be caught and incubate and increase enough to cause fatality. New chicks dying is usually shipping stress, they either got too cold or simply couldn't handle the stress of hatching and shipping.

I'd simply keep in contact with MMM and have them replace the birds you lose, they've always been very good with customer service to me. It's just early in the year to be shipping, even with that many to keep warm. You may have better luck in March or April.

3. chickenmomma16

chickenmomma16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Buckley, Washington
    I agree with everything donrae said.

I also received chicks with McMurray's first shipment of the year (Arrived Mon, Feb. 2nd) and I live in the PNW. I had 1 very weak Red Leghorn on arrival and lost her the next morning. The second chick that had crooked toes, also a Red Leghorn, was dead the next day, and another died with having no obvious signs of distress (poopy butt, injury, sickness) and she was also a Red Leghorn. I only ordered 4 Red Leghorns... Not very good percentage of survival. ALL my other breeds thrived and are doing great including my last Red Leghorn and she is even just recovering from a bad pasty butt episode (my only one) I think some breeds are just more delicate than others.

Just wanted to add: So YOUR the one who took all my Blue Andalusians!!! [​IMG] I did want a couple but they were sold out when I placed my order.

4. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    :)
    Don't you worry--I would be happy I didn't order the Blue Andalusians!! They are teeny tiny compared to the others!!
    Thanks for making me feel better. I've been wringing my hands wondering what it is I'm doing wrong!!!! :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by