Please help me understand "shavings on wire bottom?"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Germaine_11.20, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Hi, I read a post (lost it too) on raising silkies on wire bottom cages with pine shavings. I don't understand how the shavings don't just fall through the wire...

Any input?

2. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

Use 1/2 wire mesh and you will be OK

3. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Yes if the wire was 1/2 inch and the shavings were large it wouldn't fall thru but any small pieces and dust would.

I guess the concept is it would keep the litter dry with the air flow thru the wire.
    But if it wasn't changed frequently the poo would build up and block the flow of air causing it to be wet.

Good idea if you want their feet to stay dry but they could still get poo on their feet.

4. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Hmmm I have seen pictures of some litter that seems pretty large. I used pine shavings that are fairly fine.
    I will have to look harder for the larger. Any certain department? The local hatchery sells the fine and so does the farm and tack store.

5. Feathered Wings

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:I have seen those they use for dogs at walmart it looks fairly big.

Sorry i don't know of another source i don't use shavings on wire just don't like having to clean them out.
    My bantams are on wire and i don't use anything on the wire floor.

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Honestly, that just sounds like a DUMB idea. I keep my two silkies on wooden floors with about four inches of wood shavings and diatomaceous earth. They do just fine with it because they're always scratching it to find the small handful of bird seed that I throw in daily. I rarely ever have to change their deep litter.

EDIT: BTW, there's never any smell or dampness.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  7. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I think I know what post you are refering to. she has them On EITHER wire or on cages with solid bottoms with the shavings. She has it both ways.

8. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I have seen those they use for dogs at walmart it looks fairly big.

Sorry i don't know of another source i don't use shavings on wire just don't like having to clean them out.
    My bantams are on wire and i don't use anything on the wire floor.

Thank you, I will look there

Honestly, that just sounds like a DUMB idea. I keep my two silkies on wooden floors with about four inches of wood shavings and diatomaceous earth. They do just fine with it because they're always scratching it to find the small handful of bird seed that I throw in daily. I rarely ever have to change their deep litter.

EDIT: BTW, there's never any smell or dampness.

Thank you, good honest answer. I believe it is to help their feathers not break and to help keep their feet feathers cleaner

Quote:thank you, I didn't understand that!

9. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I haven't figured out how to do multiple quotes on one page yet , sorry! Hope I did not confuse you!

10. Feathered Wings

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:Thats Okay [​IMG] I have no idea how to do multiple quotes either or take out part of the quote [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by