1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help Me****update 9/27/10

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by annie3001, Sep 26, 2010.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    HELLO,
    i may have a possible sick chicken.
    age of her is over a year old.
    laying eggs normal.
    her poop was the bad kind. ill have to update and take a picture. its the milky kind.
    i saw her eat a bit. but was gone most of today.
    she does not seem as perky as the others.
    no one else (chickens) are sick.

should i quartine her right away, starting tonight?

she has a strange sick smell?

we lost a chicken in feb. and i remember this smell. it was a sick like smell. i cant describe it.

i saw some poop stuck to her bottom, and washed it well. i didnt see any bugs or worms.

i just need to know if i should start quartining her from the others?

thanks again.
    andrea [​IMG]

today was a good day.
    i checked on my chicken, let them out to free range.....she seems to be acting normal again. hopefully it was just a fluke!!! (very happy)
    just wanted to give a update!

andrea------

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    yes quarantine. Don't know much about illnesses but I read somewhere that "cocci" causes runny poops and sick smell. may want to search that? If it is cocci, treat with a med called sulmet and it should help.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

yes quarantine. Don't know much about illnesses but I read somewhere that "cocci" causes runny poops and sick smell. may want to search that? If it is cocci, treat with a med called sulmet and it should help.

okay. should i do that now? its dark out? i have another coop (empty) kinda just built it... should i move her in the dark?
    i dont have that medicine tho.​

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:yes i have seen the poop page. its pictured on their. just runny very light yellow without poop

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    If you think it would traumatize her and she has already exposed (possibly) all the others she has been with, I guess you could wait till the morning to quarantine her...probably bad advice but like many say, chickens are flock animals and it may do more harm than good to move her in the dark. So far as the sulmet goes, you can get it at most any feed store for around 7-8 dollars. If you lived closer I would give you some, lol...hope she gets better!

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    It wasn't a ceacal poop was it? If so, that's normal, chickens have those everyday. Cocci has blood in the poop.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    yeah i wish you lived closer too. [​IMG]
    okay maybe i will wait in the morning, when i get home from work about 11am.
    i think the dark would frightned her. i would hate to do that.
    [​IMG] i am just so sad. shes one of the first set of chickens we got. [​IMG]:hit

thanks for the quick replies.
    andrea-

9. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    oregon, cocci doesn't always have blood in the poop. In the early stages it often shows as diarrhea.

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:no there was no blood in the poop.
    it was light yellowish.
    but her smell triggered an alarm. and slow walk around the yard tonight.
    infact i am gonna go outside and check on her, with a flashlight.
    she does put up a fight when i pick her up...she is talking . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by