Please help me with incubation concerns!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RoosterJuice, Feb 24, 2017.

1. RoosterJuice

RoosterJuice Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Hey everyone, I'm hatching two dozen eggs in my Farm Innovators forced air incubator with manual turning. (I already know Farm Innovators is one of the cheaper brands but they do work fine). I'm having trouble keeping the temperature steady, it stays at 100F for a while and then goes up to 102 or down to 98 without any human interference. (I have 2 acurite thermometer/hygrometers inside) My humidity is fine, (fluctuating 45-55). My incubator is next to a warm air humidifier because my home is very dry. Long story short: what are some possible solutions to this problem AND how harmful is it when the incubator goes down to 98 or goes up to 102 (it went up to 104 for a short time which really concerned me, I know that means scrambled eggs). Thank you for reading and have an egg-celent day. Other helpful info: my room door stays shut all the time and the temperature remains relatively steady (low) in my room. Window is covered by cardboard (spent all my money on the incubator can't afford blinds, haha).

2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    Well I'm no expert, but fluctuation can be due to the type of the heater. Some heaters need a bit of time to "get going" so if you have temp set to 100F, they will start heating up when the temperature goes below that, but won't reach full heating capacity before the temperature drops to, for example 98F. They will then proceed to heat until the temperature is 100F, but will remain hot for some time after they turn off, so that might raise the temperature a bit, maybe even a couple of degrees. That mainly depends on the type of the heating unit, if you have a large incubator with only one large heater, it will have more temperature fluctuation. I have had my bator fixed recently and the guy put in 5 small "instant" heaters instead of one large one I had, and it's working well so far *knock on wood*, the fluctuation isn't too bad, from 99.7F to 100.7F, I'll see how it affects the hatch in about two weeks.

If your temperature mostly stays correct, this *shouldn't* have too much of an impact on the eggs, since the egg temperature changes way slower than the air temperature, so it's mostly the same as the average temperature of the bator, but it's good to avoid prolonged periods of inacurate temperature.

3. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    That temp swing is livable. What your thermometer is measuring is air temp. That will move faster than the actual temp inside the eggs. They have thermal mass.

104 degrees will harm the eggs if it is there for several hours sustained.

4. RoosterJuice

Feb 24, 2017
    Thanks guys

5. RoosterJuice

Feb 24, 2017
    Thanks a lot everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by