Please help me with my new chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken0Boy, May 17, 2010.

1. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok so I got my chicks yesterday around 3 o'clock, and right now the are on paper towels over wood chips. I want to get them I have not yet gave them any treats.off the paper towels, but i am not sure if they are ready. They seem to pick and peck at the few pine shavings that come through. I am not sure if they are eating them though. So 3 questions!

1)When will they be able to get off the paper towels?

2) Do they need grit?

3) If they do, can I use sand/dirt from yard?

2. Chicken0Boy

bump...... [​IMG]

3. jeb251

jeb251 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I start my chicks on wood chips just make sure you use pine chips and I dont give them grit, just give them chick starter, I use kent, they do well on it

4. Chicken0Boy

Quote:Ok, anybody else? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    Well first do you know about how old they are but I am guessing about a week. I kept the paper towels down until they were about 2 or 2 1/2 weeks. But I am pretty sure it would be ok to put them on the shavings. I would not recommended grit just yet. I would hold off until they are off the starter food, grit is ment for chickens that eat bigger harder foods,bugs, etc. in order to be able to grind up their food, lacking teeth. In ways you can use dirt, but they are going to look for small pebbles or small stones. I hope I was a little help.

6. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I kept mine on paper towels for the first 2-3 days with this years batch, then switch to shavings. Last year I just used the shavings and I don't see any noticeable difference. You don't need to feed grit unless giving them treats. If you're just feeding chick feed, they won't need grit. Once they are older and if they free range, they won't need grit as they will get the dirt, pebbles, etc.

7. Chicken0Boy

Ok thanks you guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by