Please help me with my old Red Rhode Island!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by averkademay, Jan 24, 2014.

1. averkademay

averkademay Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2013
    Hello all,

My 2 year old Rhode Island Red hen, has a large and hard lump on her leg. Her name is Red. She has had this for a couple weeks with almost no problem. The lump protrudes from the toe area. She has increased her water drinking consumption. When I picked her up to examine her, she spewed up spit and water. Yesterday, she wobbled and fell over on her side. I know something is wrong. I have also noticed that she has not molted in a really long time. All her (same aged) flockmates have molted. I am a 14 and she is one of 17 that I take care of. Any suggesttions? Please help if you have any idea what this is.

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The redness resembles bumblefoot infection coming from the bottom of the foot. Bumblefoot usually has a dark spot on the bottom of the foot pad, but in my experience it is usually soft, not hard. Have you looked for bumblefoot? If not bumblefoot, then I might suspect either a broken foot or mycoplasma synoviae (MS.) MS is a contagious infection that can affect the air sacs and bones. It can be treated with antibiotics, but survivors will become carriers. I would suggest that you get your chicken tested for MS by a vet. Here is some information about MS: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. averkademay

Dec 14, 2013
    Thank you so much for the suggestion. Sorry about waiting so long...I have not checked my account for awhile. I thank you for your post and your time. Red is still alive. I shall take your advice.

Amelia

5. averkademay

Dec 14, 2013
    I just watched the video for curing a bumble bee foot and i could not bear to watch even half of the video. I the kind of person to be grossed out at the blood. Both our vets do not operate on this infection. I will use antibiotics if she has mycoplasma synoviae. Also she has pale comb and waddles. What can I do about the paleness and what does it mean. I have brought her inside and she is in her little area with food and water. Her feather are so beat up and ragged, because she has not molted yet. She is showing small signs of molting, except I'm not sure about it.

Amelia

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mycoplasma synoviae is contagious to other members of the flock, so you might want to get her tested to know if it is MS or not. Tylan and erythromycin (Gallimycin) will treat MS. If you have a friend who is a nurse or an EMT, they might be willing to help you do bumblefoot surgery. It's not that bad, and with having chickens, is something to know how to do. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by