Please help me with my roosters eyes!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mikehrt23, Oct 30, 2013.

1. mikehrt23

mikehrt23 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    My cockerel's eyes have what look like warts and one eye has a film and is almost swelled shut!:( [​IMG]

2. mikehrt23

May 8, 2013
    Does anyone know what this could be?

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks like it could have gotten injured or pecked. Try putting some antibiotic ointment, like some Neosporin on (don't use anything with painkillers or "caine" ingredients). Are there any scabs on other parts of the face? If so, it may be Fowl Pox.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is hard to tell from your picture, but it could be wet fowl pox, or a respiratory infection. Are there any scabs any where else? Be sure and look into the beak and throat of your chicken for any yellow patches--those can cause respiratory problems. Here is a couple of sites linked for pox info, and if you could send another picture or two in focus it might be easier to tell: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...x-xxx-rated-graphic-pictures-of-pus-and-scabs

5. mikehrt23

May 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

6. mikehrt23

May 8, 2013
    [​IMG] the other eye

7. mikehrt23

May 8, 2013
    They were on him when I got him aprox. 2 weeks ago (I figured they were just scabs and thought they would heal on their own) but they have only gotten worse and the eye that developed film also has two little white specs.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry, but the picture is out of focus. Maybe backing up would help. Are you seeing any of the pox scabs like in the link?

9. mikehrt23

May 8, 2013
    They were on him when I got him aprox. 2 weeks ago (I figured they were just scabs and thought they would heal on their own) but they have only gotten worse and the eye that developed film also has two little white specs.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it is wet fowl pox, it is a virus that can last for 5-6 weeks. I would get him on an antibiotic to treat either a possible respiratory infection too, or a secondary infection from pox. Tylan, Gallimycin (erythromycin,) or Terramycin would be suggested drugs to look for at your feedstore. Tylan comes in oral powder as well as injectable for shots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by