Please Help ME With My Young Splash Orp

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nava, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    I have this roo, that is 4 months and 17 days, he's got a huge ballon looking thing. He's crop is huge when he walks it hangs down to almost the floor, it just don't look right to me, my other young roos don't have that. What could it be??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    Could be impacted crop? Not sure. Sorry I couldn't help more.

3. Nava

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    he acts normal, the only thing that concerns me is the size, of it.

ETA; is bigger than a softball

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Is this the first time you have noticed the size or it is an on-going issue?

I have a couple hens who are piggies and will eat until their crops sway when they walk - huge at night but down in the morning.

Pictures look normal to me, I would not worry unless the size refuses to reduce overnight.

Any bad smells coming from the beak?

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Make him some scrambeled eggs 2 eggs probably-with tons of olive oil on them-when he eats them he will gets lots of oil for lubrication for whatever "might" be stuck. Even if he is just a piggy with a huge crop -it will help slide that mess out faster-

6. Nava

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    Quote:no smell to it at all. but i'm afraid if it goes on too long some bacteria and infection might start.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:no smell to it at all. but i'm afraid if it goes on too long some bacteria and infection might start.

He does look very healthy with a huge crop can you get a photo of the other side of the crop/bird?

8. Nava

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    Nat the battery died on the cam I"ll post more pics tomorrow, I've given him olive oil with scrambled eggs and zlso mixed with bread, and it is still the same size.

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

If he was mine – I would also worry about length of time and the possible negative impacts. [​IMG]

I would pull him from the flock and kennel him so I could monitor his intake and output. I would pull his food for 24 hours, just giving him water and see if there is a change. I would put him on some towels to monitor his poop, something he is not likely to eat (sometimes they do/will eat shavings).

If he is pooping a normal amount, then he is digesting. It can take a very full crop between 12 and 24 hours to empty – depending upon what has been consumed.

Does he drink a lot of water? That could make the crop contents mushy.

Also does he have access to grit? And have you seen him consume any?

Maybe a crop massage? I believe the motion is downward, not upward.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Sheesh..Does he poop normally? watery?? if he is eating that for a while now his poops should be runny??? From the first photo though-he does look "normal" My guys ( not all of them-but some of them) eat so much-I mean ALOT and their crops look like they are going to exploid and they hang really low-especially in Summer when free ranging and eating treats...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by