Please help me with the gender of my chickens(older birds)! Pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SilkieSook, Jun 22, 2010.

1. SilkieSook

SilkieSook Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    SE Qld
    Long story short, I bought 3 silkie cross pekin chickens in the pretenses that 2 were pullets(we just liked the colour of the blue/silver/white one, and were told by the lady before we bought them that it *may* be a roo. We were also told that it is coming up 12 months, but it hasn't crowed and it hasn't laid, and all three birds look to be the size of a 4-5 month old bird...So all confused, I went and asked my produce lady how to tell for sure. She took me down to her POL girls and told me to feel between their legs(sorry no other way to say it!) and then in front of their vent...When I went home and did this to my ''girls'', I found that the silver(blue/white) and the black felt different to the white, who felt like my splash roo and my undecided red(an unknown pekin cross breed whom just happened to come home with me and the silkie rooster)...

How reliable is this method?

So I go off my butt and went to take these photos. I am thinking I have 3 roos and 2 pullets, but will welcome any and everyone's thoughts! The only one letting me know what it is is my roo.

My thoughts are(photos are in this order, excluding the silkie roo, as I know for certain he is a roo!):
    Red(pekin cross unknown breed):Roo
    Splash(p/b silkie):Roo(certain lol)
    White(silkie x pekin):Roo

Silver/Blue/White(silkie x pekin):pullet
    Black(pekin x silkie):pullet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only took one of one chook standing up as they were all relaxing(it was a crappy day yesterday, overcast and YUCK) and white birds get sooo grubby!!!!

[​IMG]

So as you can see, I think I may have one chook who looks like a roo but ''feels'' like a hen, and another who looks like a roo but ''feels'' like a hen!!! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edited to make the heading ''chickens'' instead of ''silkie crosses'' to prevent confusion. Also to add important details and delete unimportant ones [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    My guess is .. Roo, hen, roo, hen, roo.

3. SilkieSook

Jun 20, 2010
    SE Qld
    [​IMG]

Thanks Ms.FB, Not what I was hoping for [​IMG] That's what I mean, though, the white one ''feels'' like a roo, but the silver/blue/white ''feels'' like a hen... [​IMG]

4. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    The red one doesn't even look like a silkie mix... It looks like a cochin, roo.

5. SilkieSook

Jun 20, 2010
    SE Qld
    Quote:Not sure if I was meant to take that personal or not [​IMG] , as I hadn't said anything about Red being a silkie mix or not, but I never even suggested(or meant to suggest) that it was a silkie ANYTHING! For the record, I got this little guy in from the same place I got my silkie roo, and knew full well that he had no(NO!) silkie in him [​IMG] He has the feathered legs which are pekin traits(they could be traits of any other breed for all I know) and it's certainly not purebred, the only ''purebred'' I have is my Splash silkie boy, Sooo...

But, anyways, at the risk of getting into anything, let's keep on thread, I was more asking about the 2 more silkie looking chooks and the black straight feather(pekin x silkie) chook. Thanks for your input, I believe my Red is a roo, too, so at least we can agree on that [​IMG] (on that point, and that one alone, have a re-read of my post...To quote myself ''P.S The 3 ''girls'' are silie x pekin''...Maybe I just didn't make myself clear [​IMG] )

6. CalebtheChicken

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:Not sure if I was meant to take that personal or not [​IMG] , as I hadn't said anything about Red being a silkie mix or not, but I never even suggested(or meant to suggest) that it was a silkie ANYTHING! For the record, I got this little guy in from the same place I got my silkie roo, and knew full well that he had no(NO!) silkie in him [​IMG] He has the feathered legs which are pekin traits(they could be traits of any other breed for all I know) and it's certainly not purebred, the only ''purebred'' I have is my Splash silkie boy, Sooo...

But, anyways, at the risk of getting into anything, let's keep on thread, I was more asking about the 2 more silkie looking chooks and the black straight feather(pekin x silkie) chook. Thanks for your input, I believe my Red is a roo, too, so at least we can agree on that [​IMG] (on that point, and that one alone, have a re-read of my post...To quote myself ''P.S The 3 ''girls'' are silie x pekin''...Maybe I just didn't make myself clear [​IMG] )

Sorry! not meaning to upset you! I just read it wrong. [​IMG]

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

its your title, it says "Please help me with the gender of my silkie crosses(older birds)! Pics" that confused us... [​IMG]

8. SilkieSook

Jun 20, 2010
    SE Qld
    Sorry Calebthechicken, I wasn't upset, I was more thinking you were upset with me(something along the lines of ''dang newbie, doesn't know what a silkie chook is!'' sort of thing lol there's no blush smilie, but believe me, I'm a wee bit embarrassed myself! My appologises, I got on the defensive waay too quick [​IMG]

Going to fix that now, Fire Tigeris, I should have more said about the red roo(really, he was just a split decision, take him before I have to ring his neck thing, and I was too preoccupied with my silkie roo to even mind a breed unknown extra), I have silkies on the brain [​IMG]

So I am very, truly sorry, all my fault [​IMG] Do you have any idea about the others, though(if you can forgive my stuff up and how quickly I was to defend myself, even though, obviously, there was no reason for me to, I really do agree the red is a rooster, no doubts there funny enough)??? Still no eggs or extra crowing...I would expect there would be fights if I had this many roos in one flock(both the red cross and the silkie roo came from the same place, the other 3 were from somewhere different but again were bought from the same place) so it's not like they've all grown up together... [​IMG]

9. CalebtheChicken

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:In the words of somebody with a Boston accent in a cartoon; Forgetta'boutet [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  10. SilkieSook

Jun 20, 2010
    SE Qld
    [​IMG] For some reason I had Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice say that [​IMG] Cool (going to look up people with a Boston accent now lol)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by