Please help me with this...birds bought at auction and I'm confused.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Nov 6, 2010.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Bought two birds marked "roosters" at auction last night. Got them home and while i am sure the barred chicken is a rooster, albeit a young one, the leghorn-looking white bird I am only 75% sure about. No crowing from either bird, but the white bird's only rooster quality that I can see is it is rather long-legged. But I know white leghorns and crosses of leghorns can look this way too. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I apologize for the lack of detail in the pics...my camera battery died after two pics.

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    My guess is the white is a roo as well. It is hard to tell from the pics, but I am saying roo.

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    After checking with the resident "expert"...my paw paw...and showing him the chicken in question, he said the bird is a young rooster. He worked with leghorns for years in an egg factory (he was a candler) back many many (40+) years ago and was around many a young hen. He feels pretty sure about rooster. Oh well... I really like the little fella so I will probably keep him anyway. : )

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like you have the definative expert on hand!

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Actually, it looks from the photos like that bird has a pea comb. And see the tiny little waddles? All the more evidence. Also, its beak is rather long and its face is quite narrow.

Highly doubt it is a Leghorn, but yes, it is a cockerel.

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:Yeah, I knew it wasn't a purebred leghorn, but it favors one quite a bit except for the comb and wattles so that is what I settled on by way of description. Body wise it looks very much like a leghorn hen to me...except for the long legs. Anyway, I only paid .75 for each bird, so not exactly upset with outcome...besides, the box I bought them in was so well-made out of wood with hinges (PERFECT nest box) that my brother in law offered me 5.00 just for it! : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by