please help me with this question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickeneinstein, Apr 6, 2018.

1. chickeneinstein

chickeneinstein In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2018
    i am thinking about raising chicks, specifically roosters, but i am afraid that if i get rhode island red roosters they might kill my cats. Will they kill my cats or just snakes?

ronott1 likes this.
  2. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    Are you planning to keep them as pets or flock for taking care of bugs/snakes? or do you plan to eat them when they are under a year?

once they get spurs they probably COULD kill your cats. but, they would likely only attack your cats if they felt threatened by them.

under a year old roosters wouldn't have the spurs to cause enough damage to kill a cat... (i think) I'm not familiar with RIR though so I don't know when their spurs come in.

3. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Roosters won't kill cats. Most likely not kill snakes either unless they're really small snakes.
    On the other hand I've had cats and snakes kill many juvenile chickens.

4. MearBear

MearBear Songster

Apr 2, 2018
    Canada New Brunswick
    If you introduce them to the cats when they are still chicks they'd most likely be fine. But would your cats kill them as chicks? My friend has outdoor cats and Rhode island reds and they're fine together.

Rose Quartz likes this.
  5. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Roosters will do anything to defend the flock or themselves most of the time.If your cats are chicken friendly they may not have issues.My roosters and cats don’t have any issues and stay out of each others ways.Although I’m sure some will attack a cat

Rose Quartz likes this.
  6. The Moonshiner

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    No, they would most likely be dead.

bobbi-j, puffypoo22 and Rose Quartz like this.
  7. MearBear

MearBear Songster

Apr 2, 2018
    Canada New Brunswick
    That's why I asked if the cats would kill them, some cats wouldn't care about chicks and some would love to "play" with them.

Rose Quartz likes this.
  8. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    My cats love to "play" with chicks. (had one get in the brooder once but none were injured the cat seemed confused by all the chicks running around I wouldn't trust that to happen again.) but the cats were nervous of adult chickens.

9. The Moonshiner

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Ya I agree with you. Just wouldn't be worth the risk to see if they were my chicks.
    I have a neighbor that believes in repopulating the world with feral cats so I'm more used to cats that have to hunt and feed themselves. I think that's a big difference then loving families house cats.
    I lost over 100 chicks and juvaniles in one spring to them. I've also had attacks on grown birds and had one killed by cats.
    I have dozens upon dozens of roosters and none have attacked a cat let alone killed one. I think it would be very very rare to have a rooster kill a cat.
    Therefore I myself wouldn't worry about getting them used to cats in hopes to keep them from attacking and killing one.

10. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Roosters will not kill cats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: