1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help Me!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kinardmommy, Apr 17, 2008.

1. kinardmommy

kinardmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    My chick is about 5 days old and has suddenly started acting strange. It just stands with its eyes closed and eventually will drop it's head to the floor. It is shaking somewhat and when I watch it closely there is some type of Oh I don't know pulsating (for lack of a better word) going on in its rear. I have seperated it and given it sugar water by hand and put scrambled eggs in with it but it is not interested in food. What else can I do to save it???

Thank You,
    Nikki

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Has it been pooping normaly, or could it be constipated?

3. kinardmommy

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    I don't know. Since I have been watching it I havn't seen it poo

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    separate and put electroytes in the waterer and make sure it drinks sufficiently (dribble some water along its beak regularly) moisten the vent and check to see if it is blocked and unblock if necessary. offer live culture yogurt and you can also give polyvisol enfamil (liquid childrens vitamins) into its beak (3 drops) once a days for a week. Make sure you keep dribbling the electrolyte water alongside its beak to keep it from dehydrating.

5. kinardmommy

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    How do I check to see if vent is blocked and unblock it if necessary?

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Could he be cold? If they get cold they act lethargic and it can make them hav poo problems too.

7. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    I've been having this problem with chicks this year for some reason. I haven't done anything different that I know of. Eventually I lost all of the ones acting like this, except for one of them. And she is doing great in the brooder now. This has happened with my last two hatches. I'm hoping for better as I wait for my silkies to hatch between tonight and tomorrow. [​IMG] Wish me luck!

8. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Good luck wishes are coming your way![​IMG]

9. kinardmommy

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    Good Luck with your hatch chicknlittle. As for me I will just wait it out and see what happens. Thank You everyone.

10. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    you need to moisten the vent (after mostening with water see if there is a scab-like mass in or covering the vent>a "plug" if you will ....if there is then carefully remove that) if it refuses to come free then soak a cotton ball with diluted 3% (ear drops) hydrogen peroxide as this will help dissolve and loosen it.
    I am assuming you are keeping the temps at the advised temperature.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by