Please help me...

jcrmadden

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
I'm new to the world of chickens and I need help. I started with 29 one day old baby chicks that are 10 weeks old today. One of these chicks was a White Crowned Black Polish that I was crazy about since day one. Soon after his crown feathers started to come in the other chicks had a go at them and almost pecked him to death by the time I got home. I immediately isolated him and treated his head with antibiotic ointment (that was all I could think to do). Six or seven weeks went by and his crown feathers had still not come back. After so much time in isolation with little improvement I decided that in or out made no difference and put him with the rest of the flock. He didn't last 30 seconds (literally) before another rooster had him by the back of his neck. After breaking up the squabble the other rooster chased him out of the yard. Most of the birds have their little stand-off/stare-offs without actually fighting or attacking but this time was different. Plus the Black Polish never bothered to defend himself at all and seemed overly timid around all the other chickens. As soon as he came back in the yard a HEN ran straight for him and took a plug of feathers out of his back and he just ran off again and wouldn't come back in the yard. I don't want a fighting rooster on my hands but what can I do to make him at least defend himself against a blasted hen? After this incident I knew he wouldn't make it without being pecked at continuously so I brought him in my basement (don't worry it's unfinished) made a six foot diameter, two foot tall pen out of of cardboard (that for whatever reason he doesn't bother to get out of) and filled it with pine shavings. Tonight I noticed that he is constantly rubbing his beak on everything, scratching his face with his feet, shaking his head, and what seems to be sneezing. Then I discovered that he has what looks like a runny nose. Of all the birds in my flock he is probably the only one that I can say this about but I will not cull this bird. If that means I have to keep him quarantined in my basement for all his days so be it but I'm not going to let him go without doing everything in my power to help him get better. If anyone can help me do that I would be incredibly grateful.

Last edited:
I don't know much about medicating or anything, but I'm sure someone with more experiance will be along shortly to help you out there.

If you can get him better though, try putting him in a cage where the other chickens can see him but not get to him for a few days before putting him back in with them. Sometimes this helps them get along better.

I tried this breed years ago and I had the same problem with the other chickens pecking at his feathered head. I hope someone out there who raises this breed can help. Good luck to you! You seem like a caring person!

Check him first for mites or lice.
Check where he was pecked at to look for any breaks to the skin.

You do need to check the rest of the flock's nostrils and such too.

I hear polish do get picked on a lot due to the crests and cannot usually be kept with other birds. But I don't have them so IDK.

ETA: I will PM someone to see if they can help.

Last edited:
Check him for mites and lice.

Reintroducing a bird back into a flock can be tough. You may need to cage him outside with the others so they can get used to one another. Often multiple roosters just can not live together without fighting.

HI, welcome! I am here and I am awake (crazy me) but in my hands is Gail Damerow's "The Chicken Health Handbook" and it has LOT's of info. Let me find the right page, she has so much knowldge. You might can google too, but let me tell you, you can read till your eyes fall out and still be left unsure. Okay, if you are on, I am going to find the pages, which I was just reading thru myself last night.

Okay, rubbing beak; I'll start with that. "Feather Mites are found on the head, all mites are found other places. Analdesidae, BUT not common in North America. Hum OKay, red mite can be found in the birds mouth, is very common. It comes out at night, is red after it feeds, it causes serious anemia. You often never see these mites, they come out at night. Check with a flashlight if you first don't see them. You will need to dust him with a Miticide, then repeat in 5 to 7 days.

Next, runny nose. If you only have your original birds and they are healthy, and no one else has any symptoms, and there are no new birds on the property you most likely do not have a disease. However, many organisms can come home with you from the feed store or on someone else's shoes, tires etc. See biosecurity section. I wold guess with nothing else to go on that it might be mites and they have gotten in his mouth. If there are other symptoms, you'll need to list them and the book has a huge list to make it easier. However, it is never easy to diagnose a chicken, even in person.

I am having a terrible time with ammonia in my coop. This is a first for me and I have decided it is because I do not have enough ventilation in my brooder. I plan to switch to poultry flooring with NO shavings and a wire front on it. Ammonia usually affects the eyes first, but sometimes it affects the resp. tract too. You will note runny nose, watery eyes that often crust up and close. It will lead to blindness if left untreated, but most of my chicks die from dehydration when they cannot find the waterer. They will have a raspy breath and I think I had one last night making a 'caw' sound. She is better today after I put her outside for the day in a cage. Check the other birds, see if they are affected. Get down 12 inches from the floor of your coop and breath there for two minutes and see if your eyes water or you smell the ammonia smell.

I have had young birds killed that were white in a flock of dark birds. If they are used to the lighter bird, it is not as bad, but as those white feathers come in on your docile bird, being different they will get pecked. You can buy Peepers (google this) and they do work. They can be used for a while and often removed later on. I would cull the aggressive roos myself. It sounds like your pet will need diapers and be a house pet until he gets his confidence up. You may have to keep him with other Polish birds only, or in a special cage. There should be a passive pullet in your batch that you can friend him with later on. Good luck, and I sure hope he is not sick with a poultry disease. You can PM me, but I am not on much in the summer, just when I can't sleep! Hugs!

Last edited:
I had the same issue about a month ago. In order to help the bird get a long with the flock better i caged it with 4 young silkies. I chose to do it with silkies becuase they are usualy calm birds. They were also nearly the same age as my polish. I allowed these birds to bond for over a week inside in a cage. Then i reintroduced them all to the flock at the same time. It worked great. The five of them are unable to be seperated. Any time the polish's crest gets pecked at it runs to the silkies and they stand united against the older hens. I would try something like that. As far as the bird being sick i cant help you out there as i know nothing about it. I hope it all works out for you.

I have been raising polish cresteds for quite a while and I must say they are one of my favorite breeds. They are very calm, friendly, birds. This rooster cannot be taught to defend himself. In my experience, it's their nature to run instead of fight. They are not aggressive at all. My adults are kept in a breeding yard and are not with any other kind of chickens. When I raise the chicks they are mixed with other kinds of chickens and occasionally the others will pick on their crests. I just have to separate the polish if this happens. There are certain kinds that are easier to get along with than others, like silkies. But if he is missing feathers or has been bloodied, any chicken will peck at him until he's completely healed. I would suggest that you let him heal and then either get him some other polish buddies or pick out some of the most docile chickens from your flock to put with him. I don't think you will be able to put him in with any other roosters.

Hi,
About his runny nose and sneezing- Puta few drops of olive leaf extract in food ( boosts emunity!),you can get this from a phamacy or local heth shop or even some supermarkets!
About his scratching- check for mites or eczema, this may be what caused it.
I cant help any more ecept but say- good luck

Horsefreak

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom