Please Help Me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FarmerBoy24, Nov 27, 2011.

1. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    I am having an egg problem [​IMG] I have 18laying hens (well suppose to be) and I have been getting 1 egg! At first I was getting about 13 eggs a day, then 6, then 5, then 3, now 1.. Aghhhh it's insane!

I feed them lay mash, they have clean water, they free range on an half an acre (fenced in though), some of the hens are about 1 yr old some 2-4yrs. they have plenty of nest boxes, we have 8 roosters to them (3 are too young to do the job [​IMG] ) Maybe too many roo to hen ratio? they have a coop/barn. really sure they are healthy. They just got over their molt. They look nice now with all their new feathers.

I have a customer who gets about 3 doz eggs a week. I might have to turn her down because this week we only have 1 doz and 3 eggs.

[​IMG] Can someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!! SOS [​IMG]

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Could be the winter. Do you have artificial lighting in your coop?

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Mine are not laying right now either. They have to get over their moult. It takes energy to refeather and it is hard to do that and lay. I read where people try all kinds of things to get them to lay but, really, they aren't going to till they are physically ready to start again.
    sharon

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:Yes good point there too. Some don't lay much in the winter either.

5. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    If they free range on 1/2 acre than I would look for a hidden nest. I don't know what your coop set up is, but maybe you could keep them in a day or 2 and see if they lay in the coop.

6. WillowTreeFarm

WillowTreeFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Toledo
    I am still a beginner at this and hope someone will say for sure, but I would bet it's the decrease in daylight. Shorter days= less egg production. Add a light to your coop and turn it on at dusk for a couple hours and I bet things will improve, although idk how fast.

7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Mine aren't laying either. Shorter days. Added one is moutling as well. I'm giving them the winter off and letting nature take it's course.[​IMG]

8. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    i think its the winter.

9. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    That's what everyone is telling me! artificial light. What time do I set the light for?

Birdies: What time do I set the light for?

Hollywood Chickens: I will try that as well, However I did look around this morning for any hidden nests.

10. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Where can I get artificial lights? Anyone know?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by