1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help me!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SpeckledHenFrms, Jan 24, 2013.

1. SpeckledHenFrms

SpeckledHenFrms New Egg

Jan 24, 2013
    This is my second hatch and I have kept the temperatures and humidity at the right levels and turned my eggs with an automatic turner... It seemed to me like everything was perfect but today is day 22 and still no pips!! I can hear some of the chicks peeping from time to time but not a single pip!! Helpppppp

2. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    I'm pretty new to this but from what I've read, it could be a couple of things and still be ok. Were your temps on the lower end? Did you store them for a while before setting? Both can make it take longer I think.

I hope everything is ok. Good luck!

2 people like this.
  3. SpeckledHenFrms

SpeckledHenFrms New Egg

Jan 24, 2013
    Thanks! I got some through the mail so that could be why they're a little late, temps may have run low... As long as my babies come out healthy!!!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

Candle the eggs to see if they pipped internally and while you are at it, mark the shell where the air sac is with a pencil, so you know where the chicks are. If you don't see any internal pips hold them against your ear and tap them. They'll respond by squirming if they're alive in there. They may need help to hatch, so I want you to sit down and read this article carefully before you do anything, O.K? This article will tell you exactly what to do and what to look for:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Best of luck and let us know how the hatch goes!

1 person likes this.
  5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    x2

your def at the candle tap stage this is a paste from the article..... follow step by steps in the article

CANDLE & Tap!
    Candle and look for an internal pip. Pencil mark the air cell,
    [​IMG]

Below is what an internal pip it looks like.
    The beak is thrust through the inner membrane into the air cell.

[​IMG]

Tap with your fingernail GENTLY on the air cell and hold to your ear, Can you hear a peep?

6. SpeckledHenFrms

SpeckledHenFrms New Egg

Jan 24, 2013
    Thanks!! Will opening the incubator kill them?

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    you need to check on them at this point.... just take out and quickly candle and tap.... DID YOU READ THE ARTICLE??? you may need to help if internally pipped and or chirping

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    X2 Read the article and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by