PLEASE HELP ME??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DarleneE, Apr 1, 2015.

1. DarleneE

DarleneE Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    My BR who is a great layer has suddenly started laying soft shelled eggs. She's laid 5 of them in this week. I thought it was maybe lack of calcium since I've always given her lettuce, carrots, fruit, etc every evening and she really LOVES all this and perhaps wasn't getting enough of the necessary layer feed?? So I stopped the treats a few days ago but still the same thing. She's also laid these last two eggs after dark at night if that makes a difference?? Can anyone help me??

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Do you also offer Oyster Shell?

I would try giving her some extra calcium...tums is OK to give her..very often soft shell eggs are passed overnight...maybe she is not having enough layer feed as you mentioned..maybe try feeding her away from her flockmates.

3. DarleneE

DarleneE Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Thank you. Yes they both have oyster shell available at all times. I have cut out the treats completely and was told that it would take approximately at least two weeks for her calcium to go back up. She is my "piggy" indeed!! She'd try to hoard all the lettuce, carrots and anything I'd give them so my EE couldn't get any!! SHE LOVES TREATS!! Lol So I honestly do think I was KILLING THEM WITH KINDNESS so to speak!! I'm praying she'll get back to normal eggs again soon!! Thank you so much for writing!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by