PLEASE HELP MITES MITES AND MORE MITES!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pete fernBonnie, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Pete fernBonnie

Pete fernBonnie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    hi i went to the farmers market last week and i noticed a poorly looking bird. the man said its a healthy polish , but it was very noticeable that it was in bad condition. i wanted to help it so i bought it and took it home. she was completely infested with mites on her head (and by the way she is a polish) so i went to lowes and bought some seven dust. i dusted her completly using a cotton bag with the dust and shaking it on the bird going directly on the skin. i had to do her head every other day to make sure they were gone. i put her in a coop that has been dusted and sprayed and i thought that all the mites were gone and today i looked at her head and the mites are building up again! also i noticed she has kept itching her nostrils and they were n her nostrils too too! i really need help please help ASAP thanks bethany

2. Bo and Aero

Bo and Aero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, I know that this is no help, but me too! I cannot get rid of them!!

3. Stewzoo

Stewzoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Try Frontline. I use the spray form, and I squirt one pump under each wing directly onto the skin. I have heard of other people using the actual ointment and putting one drop under each wing. It has worked well with my silkies who got mites last summer. I dusted and used the Frontline together and got rid of them that way.

4. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Mites do develop resistance to pesticides. You might try a different one, such as pyrethrin or permethrin.

One of my chickens (a broody) got so many mites that they were on me, too. A shower took care of me. I wonder if a bath (given warm enough weather and thorough drying) would work for a chicken? I don't know.

One thing I learned about mites is that they multiply and spread. The roosts, cracks and crevices of the coop, nest boxes, etc. need treatment as well.

5. Pete fernBonnie

Pete fernBonnie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    thanks so much ! i had to do a deed no one wants to do, it was so bad on her head we had to cut of all the feathers on her head and i put seven on her head and i tryed frontline underneath her wings and she is getting better by the day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by