Please Help! Molting Plymouth BR with Diarreah for about a week now

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeanf, Dec 20, 2010.

1. jeanf

jeanf New Egg

Feb 5, 2010
    Okay... now I'm getting really worried.

When I first saw the diarrhea about a week ago, I searched the forum and it seemed that it was associated with the molt. I looked at the poo chart and I guess it mostly looks like third really watery Ceacal. Really watery. Really. No solid poop under her roost spot for about a week. I did add ACV to their water after I read it on here last week. The Buff Orp is fine and the two four month old chicks are fine (they've been sleeping together at night for about a week now, but I separate them during the day still).

She's not eating right either. Treats that she normally runs for, even bananas, are getting her excited to eat. I've been sprouting scratch and BOSS. The other three love them. She'll barely touch them. Other than that she seems fine. She is molting, but I only know that because she stopped laying about a month ago and her feathers are everywhere. She's growing them as fast as she's losing them I guess.

She's 10 months old and I'm in Central Texas where it's still pretty warm (59 as I type).

Any ideas, advice????

Thanks so much,
    Jean in Central Texas

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you ever wormed them? from what I've read you don't have to see worms for them to have them, I just happened to see the round worms. Wazine for the round worms and 10 days later come back and worm with Valbazen or Zimectrin Gold.. Also might look up cocci.

3. jeanf

jeanf New Egg

Feb 5, 2010
    Thanks... so you don't think it's due to the molt?

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    My GLW is having a real hard molt right now. She's not eating like she usually does either. She eats, but not with the vigor she normally has. Try giving her some scrambled eggs. I gave mine some, and she gobbled them up. I really don't have much advice, other than it's something they have to go through. It's really hard on them, especially when it's cold and snowy outside like my weather is right now. Soon it will be over. [​IMG]

5. jeanf

jeanf New Egg

Feb 5, 2010
    I read about Cocci and I don't think it's that. There's no blood and she's acting normal except for eating. I just let her have a romp around the yard and she did some dusting in the garden and a lot of pecking in the dirt for bugs. I tried some eggs this morning, but she wouldn't have any of it, the BOSS sprouts or the Scratch sprouts. She seems to only want to eat what she gets for herself. We in Central Texas and it's pretty warm (thank God), so I don't have to worry about the cold right now. I guess as long as she's not acting listless, it's just the molt. I wish she'd poop right though. I'd feel a lot better. I think I'm going to let her out again so she'll at least eat bugs and get some protein.

Thanks,
    Jean

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't mean to harp on this but if they have are on the ground they most likely have been in contact with worms. I'd give them all a good worming, I thought oh the DE will take care of them because I had used it since having them but it won't do it you'll have to use a good wormer. Worms can take them down fast too.

7. jeanf

jeanf New Egg

Feb 5, 2010
    I don't think you are harping at all and appreciate your advice. I have been adding DE to their feed for months, but I will go ahead and treat for worms just to make sure.
    Thanks again,
    jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by