1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE HELP. Month old chick pooped guts out.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blitz1027, Mar 12, 2012.

1. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    I got 9 Welsummer chicks from Ideal poultry last month and all had been doing fine till Saturday when one died for no apparent reason. Yesterday morning as I was changing they're feed and water all the rest were fine but by last night one of them looked like it had literally pooped it's guts out [​IMG] and another one was sickly looking. This morning the sick one was dead.

Please if anyone knows what could be the cause help me.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Gosh, that's awful. So sorry you're going through that. I will guess that maybe it's cocci. Get some Corid (it's a powder and it's advertised for cows), you can put that in their drinking water. The chick with the "guts out" might have to be put out of it's misery. The others will peck at the guts and this is very painful for the little chick.

Also, make sure their environment is very clean and dry. If it's hot and wet where you are, that is the perfect environment for cocci to multiply. This can kill your chicks very quickly. Usually you see blood in the stool, but they can have cocci without that.

I am not 100% sure, but this is what I would try.

So sorry to hear that, and good luck to you,
    Sharon

3. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Thanks for the advice. Even if your not 100% sure at least that's something. We have had alot of rain recently so it is very wet here right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by