Please help, most of my flock is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mianna, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Mianna

Mianna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Trying to think of everything that might be relevant, so I'm sorry if there's too much information. Today 5 of my 7 chickens are ill, after seeming fine yesterday.

Symptoms:
    Sneezing
    Slightly enlarged, spongy crops in all but one
    When they lean forward to eat or drink, they're losing the contents of their crops in a small stream
    No mucus or anything on their beaks/faces

Other:
    All are almost a year old, hatched them myself
    No new birds, and I haven't been around anyone else's birds
    Mixed flock, Barnevelders and Speckled Sussex
    All are eating, scratching around, drinking, acting normally
    No recent changes in food
    No new bedding, they're on dirt/sand with oak leaves and pine needles in the run, nest boxes have orchard grass (same supply, not a new bag or anything)
    No food additives or anything new
    Housed in a coop at night, access to a chain link run during the day
    No weight loss, but this is the first day they've seemed "off"

What scares me is that a neighbor's house was tented for termites recently, I locked the chickens in their coop as soon as I saw the tent going up, kept them confined until it was removed and the neighbor was back in his house. Assumed that it being inhabitable meant that the fumes would have dissipated. Covered coop windows with cardboard on all but the side farthest away from the neighbor's house, and they were confined (with food and water, of course) for about 36 hours.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd be so grateful. This is my first time dealing with something like this and I'm worried sick about my kiddos. =( Thank you so much for any help or advice!

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    The first thing that comes to my mind is sour crop. I don't know about your neighbor's termite issue; but if there house was inhabitable over 36 hours ago (you said they were confined for 36 hours), then a delayed reaction doesn't make too much sense - and why this type of reaction if it's chemical?

That's all the help I can offer. I know sour crop can happen after a sudden feed change or something like that, but haven't any experience with the crop contents spilling out. Sorry and good luck with your hens!

3. Mianna

Mianna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Thank you so much for your response. I made a trip to the pharmacy earlier and got the Poly-vi-sol infant vitamin drops without iron, some probiotic capsules, and the stuff to make a homemade electrolyte solution. I still don't know what to do to fix the problem, but figure that supportive care like the vitamins and electrolytes can't hurt anything no matter what it is. So worried about my girls. =/

4. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Hopefully some probiotics and all that good stuff will be enough to perk them up. Maybe it's something they ate and it'll blow through their digestive tract. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by