PLEASE HELP! Most of my hens have bloody butts!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LogCabinChicks, Jan 16, 2015.

1. LogCabinChicks

LogCabinChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    I posted earlier today about Coccidious and they were still dying...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/947183/coccidious-treating-since-sunday-they-are-still-dying

I just got home from work, went out to check on the girls, one hen, Red Sex almost dead...all three of my leghorns have extremely bloody butts...alot of blood. They are the easiest to tell because they are white I don't know how many more, so I came inside to post for help. what should I / can I do? The doctor hasn't called back from my earlier post....

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you have Corid/amprolium?
    It should be available at most feed stores.

3. LogCabinChicks

May 3, 2014
    yes, I lost two hens last week, on Sunday I lost one more so I started treating them with Corid in their water and in their fermented feed...I thought we were on the road to recovery, because they all seemed to be doing well, until today. I lost a Red Sex Link and a Road Island red, 8 more have bloody butts.... I cleaned out the whole coop, it is -2 and that was such a chore that I ended up in my tshirt, still sweating. I put down new shavings, sterilized the waterer (i do that daily) ... I just don't know what to do. I have 3 leg horns and they all laid eggs today...but they are really really bloody so I know I will lose them by morning. I'm just so sad, I thought I had been doing everything right, until it snowed 2 weeks ago, 4 feet and they have been cooped ever since....

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    bedding must be kept bone dry.

5. Soccerchicken

Soccerchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Excuse me if I sound rude, but how do you sterilize the water? If you use chemicals and don't rinse well enough that could be a problem.

Also it could be laying problems. In the last two years two of my red stars have died from internal laying, but since you say so many are affected this probably isn't likely.

How about fly strike, or any infection around the vent area. I would check, if you see any wounds you can clean it and treat with topical antiseptic.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Thinking outside the box. I like that.

7. LogCabinChicks

May 3, 2014
    I just meant that I clean the waterer really well. (I did say waterer not water. :) ) I scrub it daily, inside, outside.... No rudeness taken. I believe the Coccidious started because of the negative temps and I turned on a heat lamp...so the the coop was previously frozen, then on those three occasions when the temp when to -15 I turned on a heat lamp. made it warm...melted the frozen DL and then all hell broke loose. [​IMG] all i was trying to do was keep the coop a little bit warm during the cold snap. But because I didn't turn it off when I got up and went to work (one morning it was -26 on my way to work), it was very warm when I came home that afternoon... the -15 nights were not in a row, but a couple days apart, but the warm days, and heated coop created the perfect environment and it just hasn't frozen back up yet so it gave the virus a chance to grow and grow...I learned my lesson. As everyone says...don't heat the coop and I won't. I just hope I can save the rest.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by