PLEASE HELP! My 2 chicks wont eat or drink!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by California Ducken, Apr 30, 2009.

1. California Ducken

California Ducken Chillin' With My Peeps

They dont have enough energy to peck or drink.
    They were born Sun. at 3PM
    I feed them Exact baby bird food (wet) under my fingernail I scoop some up and put it on their mouths until they pep and then they swallow a small amount.(extremely small)
    I give them water the same way.
    They don't open their eyes very often and when they do its only 1 eye and it's only 1/2 open.
    Oh and they peep and snuggle
    PLEASE ADVISE!!!!!
    Any help PLEASE!!!

THANK YOU!!!

2. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Are they pooping at all? Are they warm enough? Too warm? Are their butts pasty?

3. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I would try (if you haven't already) putting some poly-visol (sp?) in the water or use sugar water to boost them up. Did you take them over to the water and dunk their little beaks in? Have you put food down and poked at it with your finger (like your finger is an eating chicken pecking at it)? Are they warm enough? Did you check their hind ends for pasty butt?

4. California Ducken

Yes they are pooping very little like 1 poop a day.
    Yes they are kept at 88 degrees during the day and 97 at night.
    No I keep checking their butts.

5. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:Yes, have you shown them the water? (I'm assuming you did, but had to ask, as I didn't know I was supposed to do that the first time I had chicks). [​IMG]

6. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I would make sure the brooder is at 95 degrees, give them some sugar water with a dropper and then dip their beaks in the water in the brooder to make sure they know where it is. Also, are they on papertowel? If they are I would scatter some food on it until they figure out where the feeder is. You can also buy some polyvisol vitamins w/o iron (infant liquid vitamins found at drug stores) and put it in their water once they start drinking.

I hope they start doing better!

7. California Ducken

yes on paper towels flat so I can see poo better. I have medicated chick starter on towel and feed them sugar water too.
    Yes I put their beeks in water and peck food with my finger.

They hardly open their eyes and dont move around so well....like clumsy drunks

8. California Ducken

Thank you guys for replying so quickly. I have them in my hand now. They are always passing out and hard to keep awake.
    I know new hatchlings do that but I need to get them gaining weight.

9. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    We gave ours yogurt and I think we even tried milk with a dropper. May have added sugar to the milk, I don't remember. But if you have to manually feed them, you're going to have to feed them small amounts often. Hope it goes well.

10. California Ducken

Thank You! Yes, I feed them every 45 minutes......or when they start peeping their heads off!!!!

Thanks for all the encouragement.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by