Please help. My 3 wk. old Leghorn is suffering from stomach pain.

sabrina2109

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Mississippi
Yesterday, 06/16/10, I first noticed her not acting right. I saw her get up and try to poo and noticed she had some on her butt fur. I picked her up, without chase this time, and checked her bum/vent to be sure it wasn't clogged and saw poo & grass sticking out. I pulled the grass all the way out and put her back down. She is not active like the others anymore. I saw her try to poo one more time yesterday but nothing came out. She would not eat or drink anything. I read this forum and saw that I could give her some olive oil. I gave her 1/2cc and watched her for about 1 hour. No eat or drink at all. This morning I saw her eat a little but she is still the same pretty much. She not playing or being like the others and just sits on the roost I made for them. Her vent is very clean...no swelling or redness but she seems to be in pain. She likes for me to rub her belly when I pick her up....she calms right down when I rub her belly. I have checked her over several times and nothing exterior seems to be wrong with her. I feed them starter mash and keep them fresh water. It is not medicated starter mash. They are in a large dog kennel with plain wood shavings.

I think, as a "just in case" I'd have them on a medicated feed. I'm a bit of a newb, but you should try to check her poop, is it watery or mucousy? How does her crop feel? Need some more info please

She hasn't gone poop since yesterday. It was brownish mixed with grass, not watery or mucusy but was very soft mush and had part of a stool with it. I had seperated her from the rest for the night last night and know she hasn't gone poo since yesterday afternoon. I will get medicated feed today.

Quote:
I am new at owning chickens and was just feeding them the starter mash for now. That is what the Hatchery says to do. I can get them some grit though.

Quote:
I am new at owning chickens and was just feeding them the starter mash for now. That is what the Hatchery says to do. I can get them some grit though.

Also, the poop she did pass yesterday was brownish mixed with grass, not watery or mucusy but was very soft mush and had part of a stool with it. I had seperated her from the rest for the night last night and know she hasn't gone poo since yesterday afternoon.

If she had grass in her poop, then she is eating more than her crumbles. In order for a chicken to be able to "chew" and digest its food - their gizzard (located after the crop) needs grit.

Offer all your chicks a sandwich sized container of sand with small grit/pebbles/rocks in it (tiny like pepper corn sized rocks/grit). Your chicks will all play, scratch, bathe and eat thru the container - do not worry they will not hurt themselves eating too much.

A mother hen (broody) takes her chicks out and about from the time they are 3 days old. She makes sure they nibble and peck thru small grit to get their systems going.

Quote:
I had put grass in their house for them about 4 days ago. I had to remove it all because it was to long...it didn't cut it up small enough. I saw it sticking aout of their beaks because they couldn't swallow it that long. But, some of it obvously did get swallowed. I scared now. I'll get some sandy dirt for them like you said.

I just was out watching her for about an hour. I see her going to the feeder but not really eating. She took a couple of bites and thats all. She stays at the feeder and watches the others eat so she does seem interested/wanting to eat and can't for some reason. Her vent is still very very clean and healthy looking. She hasn't drank any water yet today either. She is keeping her little tail feathers down too where the others hold theirs up high.

Quote:
I just got back from the feed store. Their starter feed, I found out, IS medicated. Sorry for the misinformation at first. Can you tell me what to check for in her crop? I'm not sure what to do there.

It sounds like impacted crop from the grass. Do a search here in the forum for 'impacted crop'. There are several very helpful threads with advice on how to treat it.
I hope your baby gets better!

Back
Top Bottom