1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help my 8mo buff hens are laying terribly

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by floridachickhatcher, Mar 20, 2012.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    i ordered my 8mo now buff hens back in July 2011 they came here July 14 so they turned 8mos march 14 roughly and they are well over the age of when they should start laying and i love the buffs cause they are pretty and calm but we are only getting 8-10 eggs a day and i have 25 hens and 2 roos and 15-17 of those hens are not laying i mean i thought buffs were suppose to be good egg layers? does anyone have some suggestions as to why they are not laying? and my mom says they don't eat alot almost like they don't like the layer mash they are picky eaters i mean i told mom maybe they don't like the way the layer taste? lol she just looked at me

2. kaankboom

kaankboom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2012
    you should serch the coop every where becasue they might hide there eggs

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Lock them in the coop/run for a couple of days and that will tell you if they are laying somewhere else

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    I agree. If they free range, they are probably laying their eggs outside where you can't find them.

5. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Why don't you examine each hen to determine if she is laying, laying poorly or at all.

6. tinzman8

tinzman8 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Are they getting enough light? I was only getting 4 or 5 eggs a day from my hens, then i put a light in their coop on a timer that comes on at 3 am...Now i get 12-15 from my 16 hens.

7. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't know what winters are like in Florida, but if the days are short then they may well stop laying until there are more hours of daylight. Some hens (mine included) don't lay at all during the winter months and only come into lay around now.

8. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I''l add that at eight months they should be laying, but if for any reason their maturation slowed they may only now really starting to lay. Add to that the winter has just ended even in Florida.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by