Please help my baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rana, Mar 17, 2013.

1. rana

rana New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    I have 4 chicks 2 of them are sick. I separated both of them . Each sick chick in a box.
    HELP I DONT KNOW WHAT TO Do ?
    I gave them water with a spoon of sugar, and fed them forcefully, but they didn`t get any better. They only improved for a little while then they became sick . When i fed them some water splashed and little fell on them and now i don`t know how to dry them up . When I asked my parents to take them to a doctor, they agreed,but when I came back from school they didn`t get any better when I asked my parents if they took the two chiks to the doctor they said yes , but i know their lying cause the chicks didn`t improve please help!!!!!!!!

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    What are their symptoms? Do you have a heat lamp for them? If you have electrolytes such as Sav-A-Chick, then you could add that to the water. You can dry them off by taking a towel and gently drying them off.

3. rana

rana New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    After A lot of screaming they are finally going to take him yo a doctor. and about the symptoms I don`t know.and we dont have a heat lamp for them , and I tried to dry them off with a towel but they were too fragile and the water didn`t dry off when I tried .
    Thanks for your help
    pray that they make it to the doctor alive

4. rana

rana New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    After A lot of screaming they are finally going to take him yo a doctor. and about the symptoms I don`t know.and we dont have a heat lamp for them , and I tried to dry them off with a towel but they were too fragile and the water didn`t dry off when I tried .
    Thanks for your help
    pray that they make it to the doctor alive

5. darkside1

darkside1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2013
    First off. Quit whining and screaming at your parents. Its not their fault that your chicks are sick. Second. A little time and $ spent up front will save you tons of headaches and $ in the long run. Baby chicks need a heat lamp as much as they need food or water. They cannot keep themselves warm and also fend off disease or illness. In order to be a responsible chicken owner you should first make sure that you can provide your chickens with their requirements. There are plenty of online write-ups on raising baby chicks as well as lots of books at your library. Information is your friend!!

6. BrittBergh

BrittBergh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Harvest, Al
    What are the symptoms like what are they doing to act sick? How old are they?
    You really need a heat lamp for baby chicks just like you need food and water for them.

7. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    A heat lamp is absolutely essential, as they cannot regulate temperature on their own. For the first week, they need a constant temperature of 95 degrees Fahrenheit. Symptoms are signs the animal is exhibiting, such as lethargy (not moving much), going off their feed, lameness, etc.

There are many great books on raising chickens.

Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens and The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow

Living with Chickens by Jay Rossier

The Joy of Keeping Chickens by Jennifer Megyesi

In the meantime, here are some resources on caring for chickens.

http://web.uconn.edu/poultry/poultrypages/Basic Mgmt of Small Flocks 12.pdf

http://learningstore.uwex.edu/Assets/pdfs/A3858-01.pdf

The Merck Veterinary Manual can help you find out what you can do to help the chicks.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/index.html

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I suspect it's very likely these chicks are not thriving because they have no heat! Separating the two who are not doing well is not going to help anything at this point. May even make things worse since now they have no other chicks to help warm them. If by some remote chance they did have something contagious the others have already been exposed anyway. I really suspect they are simply COLD!

Put them all back together. Go to the feed store or Tractor Supply or wherever you got these chicks and get a heat lamp, as in today, right now. Get a little, cheap thermometer as well. You don't want to over do it and roast them. They should have one spot in their brooder, under the lamp, where the temp is around 90 to 95 their first week. Raise the lamp a little after that so the temp decreases by about 5 degree's a week. There should also be room in the brooder for them to move away from the heat when they need to.

Show this thread to your parents so they know too what needs to be done. Are you feeding them a good chick starter? Get them warmed up and I'd put some Save-A-Chick in their water as well. Don't wait around, you don't have much time to save them. They just don't last if they can't get warm.

9. rana

rana New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    look I dont have any trouble with money cause I have the money that I`ve been saving, but my father before didnt agree to take them to the doctor even thought I told him that I`ll pay for the medical fees.
    and about the heat lamp, my country is really hot so I just put the chicks in my home so they won`t burn to death . that`s why i didnt buy for them any heat lamps.
    and anyways i read many things in the internet so I could help them. I`m not stupid enough to just wine and not search. I swear i tried my hardest to help them I stayed and searched for three hours and i did everything i could.
    but in the end they died. they just died the doctor couldn`t help them . he said they were already sick from birth cause they didn`t take any injections .
    anyways thanks everyone for your help. I`m really grateful for everything . thanks for trying

10. snakelife

snakelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Chickens don't need "injections" they need to be healthy. My chicks are healthy but they didn't have vaccinations. and I am pretty sure that they wouldn't "burn to death" if you gave them a proper environment outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by