Please help my baby duck

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Geminii, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Geminii

Geminii New Egg

Nov 18, 2015
    Hi. I have an almost one month old henni duckling that was born not able to walk. I have been researching this whole time and can't figure out what is wrong with her. I don't think it's a niacin deficiency because she was born like that and her legs look fine. She has no balance and just rolls over on her back. She can hold her balance for a few seconds now and take a few steps sometimes. I take her out of her cage to give her food and water many times a day and have been giving her vitamins with niacin for about 3 weeks but I don't think I was giving her enough. I've upped the dose now. Any help I could get for her would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Geminii Welcome to BYC

Have you put her into water [warm] to see if she can move her legs in water. Stay right with her while she is in the water.
    I believe they can be born with nutritional deficiency if the mama duck had one. Also when giving niacin it has to be plain not flush free or time released. 125 mgs to 1 gal of water per day for 10 weeks. if she is eating good then my best option is Brewers yeast sprinkled over her feed 1 Tab to 1 cup of feed.

How is she doing other wise is she eating good, pooping normal?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  3. MrsPlopPlop

MrsPlopPlop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2015
    Lutz, Fl
    Was the duckling from a hatching egg you ordered? Or is this a duckling from your own flock? That info may help these ladies get to the root of the issue. [​IMG] I hope you find some answers!!!!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If she is able to swim (with your supervision) it may strengthen her legs. Miss Lydia is the very best duck person to ask for advice.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I don't have ducks (yet!) but Miss Lydia is who I'm counting on for help when I do get them. Good luck with your duck, I hope things improve soon.

7. tomynoks

tomynoks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    WA state USA
    It wouldn't hurt to add Epsom salt to the water either. Would love to see some pics please! He/she is lucky to have you!!

8. season1223

season1223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2015
    Tennessee
    My friend has a duck that has some sort of disorder...he's disabled...walks on his knees-the bend in his legs! His feet just don't work! I would have to ask her what it is that he's got but i think he was born with it too! Let us know how it does in the water! If urs shows no improvement and it seems to be the same sort of problem my friends duck has, i will find out more from her for u! She keeps her duck inside and he gets round very well for not using his feet...he has super strong wings due to his disability even tho he is supposed to be a flightless bird!

1 person likes this.
  9. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by