Please Help - my Bluebell hen keeps plucking breast/crop feathers

LewesHenMom

Hatching
May 25, 2021
UK
Hi there,

My lovely Bluebell hen keeps plucking at the feather on her crop. Her crop doesn't appear to be having any major issues to my eye/feel. It does look red at times, but could this be because of the plucking? Her general plumage looks a little grubby, with her tail feathers not looking great, and she's always more dirty around her backside area than my white Sussex Star (who's plumage looks great!)

Its just the two of them with a perfectly good sized, healthy, clean run/coop and some free range time in the day in our yard area around 3/4 times a week. There's no poisonous plants around and they are fed layers pellets, with meal worms added occasionally for extra protein. They also have a grit bowl.

There doesn't appear to be any bullying or pecking between them, and they like being together. Its all very harmonious! We've checked for red mite and lice, nothing to report on! I also checked at night time to be doubly sure those little red mites hadn't evaded my site!

In terms of egg production - shes great! But im concerned about the plucking, red crop, and general 'grubbyness' of her. Any idea what could be wrong with my Bluebell - i'm worried about her?

Thank-you guys :)

P.s were in the UK

You might want to check her crop at different times of the day, to make sure that it is emptying overnight by early morning before she aphas eaten. If it feels hard and full, or puffy soft in the am, she might be suffering from a crop disorder. What is her age? Is she near the age for a molt, or are other birds picking at her feathers? Make sure that she has plety of clean water in multiple places in case she is having a crop disorder.

You might want to check her crop at different times of the day, to make sure that it is emptying overnight by early morning before she aphas eaten. If it feels hard and full, or puffy soft in the am, she might be suffering from a crop disorder. What is her age? Is she near the age for a molt, or are other birds picking at her feathers? Make sure that she has plety of clean water in multiple places in case she is having a crop disorder.
Okay i'll give that a go at checking her first thing in the morning.

She was hatched mid January 2020, so she's only about 1 1/2 years old.

The Sussex star hen we have was hatched within weeks of the Bluebell, and she had a full and healthy molt around September/October 2020 - but the Bluebell had no molting at all.

It only seems to be her crop area where the feathers are plucked away, and her tail area just looks scruffy but not bolding or anything.

Thanks

How many eggs does she have? some times it can take up to a dozen to trigger her full broodiness. Long story short she is most likely half broody.

How many eggs does she have? some times it can take up to a dozen to trigger her full broodiness. Long story short she is most likely half broody.
We only have the 2 hens so we take the eggs out the coop daily. They are both really good layers - rarely actually ever miss a day.

Anymore thoughts based on the attached pictures?

Attachments

• Polly1.jpeg
    Polly1.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Polly2.jpeg
    Polly2.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Polly3.jpeg
    Polly3.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 9
Anymore thoughts based on the attached pictures?
When did you last deworm her?

Worm overload can cause general itchiness and dry skin due to nutrient deficiencies, as well as diarrhea, which adds to the deficiencies.

She would benefit from a nice warm budd soak as well and maybe trim back some off her butt fluff, so the poo will not stick as easly.

Back
Top Bottom