PLEASE HELP MY BUTTON QUAIL

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Nattytash, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Nattytash

Nattytash Just Hatched

Sep 30, 2016
    I am new to incubating and raising chicks and I have recently hatched a button quail it is now 4 days old and has been showing signs of fatigue with a drooping head and lameness at walking, it has lost its appetite and I can't get it to eat I have tried dipping food in water and feeding it but it won't take it. (we feed it chick starter crumb mashed up as the crumbs looked too big but have not managed to mash all up into powder but the crumbs weren't huge). I have managed to give it a tiny bit of water. food and water are in petri dishes and water is filled up just the floor of the dish so it can't drown. It hasn't had a stool in 2 days and I have seen it trying to push one out but all I saw was liquid try to come out. If someone can help a newby I would be really happy.

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Hi. Sorry i can't help you! Hopefully someone with quail knowledge will come along and give you some info!

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I had a baby Coturnix fail to thrive a few days after hatching and I used a syringe with this baby bird food powder and water mixed in and dribbled it on the end of its beak for a day or so until it perked up again - you can also make it into mushy balls for treats.

Had to do a drop at a time (drop, wait for him to move his beak to swallow, if not, drop some more on the side of the beak wait for swallow reflex, drop, wait again, drop, etc. until you know he's not interested any longer) about every hour but eventually he figured it out and would go for the syringe :) good luck!!

http://m.petsmart.ca/h5/hub?id=/bir...ormula-zid36-5242049/cat-36-catid-400005?null

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  4. Nattytash

Nattytash Just Hatched

Sep 30, 2016
    Ok thx I'm gonna try Tha and the quail isn't too far gone

5. Nattytash

Nattytash Just Hatched

Sep 30, 2016
    Sadly the poor thing passed away when I got home from college it was laying in a corner head on the ground not breathing but now we got all this info hopefully the next chick will have a better chance thx again for all the help

6. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm sorry to hear about the chick and you're very welcome :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by