1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE HELP! MY CHİCKEN WENT BLİND

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by asopos, Sep 6, 2016.

1. asopos

asopos Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    I have a chicken who is extremely scared of almost anything (even from her shadow) and this evening while I was closing the door slowly and then she got scared and ran towards me and her head got stuck for half a second pretty bad. Her head isn't damaged but her eyes are really bad she doesn't open them for 20 minutes she just sat and tried to sleep I'm sure she is blind and I don't think we can heal her (we will take her to a vet tomorrow because it is too late now) and I'm extremely terrified I love her so much I can't handle putting her down. How can I care for her ? I could make her drink water but How about food ? I really need help I'm ready to do what ever she needs me to I could even care for her in my room please someone I need every little information I could find (since I live in turkey there is no way I could find someone that could tell me ) and her eyes are just too bad I don't know what to do I'm really scared

2. Calm down.can you post a photo of her eyes?i know a person who had a chick that was blind:eek:wlets blog.check it out in pictures and stores of my chickens.is she eating and drinking alright?if not, use a eye dropper or something,of the sort.and, make tapping nose like pecking when trying to get her to eat.

3. asopos

asopos Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016

The accident has just happened so I assume she is in shock so I did try what you said but stopped to let her rest. An eye doctor is our neighbour and he checked her eyes out and one of them is gone . Completely gone. The other has a little chance of healing (but only be ablr to see ,like %30 ) he also gave us an eye drop to protect her eyes from getting infected. And if I can't get her to eat I'm thinking to do tube feeding or ask vet to do it (if she can)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by