Please help my chick eyes are sealed shut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crzychicken, Jun 22, 2010.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Sorry but I don't know what to treat them with I need help please anyone know what to use
    Thanks

2. louloubean

louloubean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    did you try warm water?
    i would try that on a paper towel or cotton swab to see if it helped clean whatever gunk is on there.

3. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Yes I did but they just get crunchie and seal back up they don't smell so not sure what it is I'm hoping someone does on here

4. KelliV

KelliV Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Pasco County, FL
    I would try Terramycin ointment if the warm water isn't working. You can buy it at most feed stores/TSC. Should run you between $12-$15/tube, but it's worth the price and a little goes a long way! http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&pf_id=229 <----What it looks like

Are the birds sneezing? Any swelling around the eyes or neck? Any other symptoms?

It is likely that they may have a respiratory issue if it's more than one bird with the problem. If it is a respiratory issue, it will likely require antibiotics. You can search the board for "respiratory issues" or something similar and should be able to get lots of great info!

If it's just one bird, it could still be a respiratory issue, but it could also just be an injury, or dust in the eye. If you post the other symptoms (if any) and a picture, you will probably get a lot more knowledgeable response than I can give. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by