PLEASE HELP! My chick has just started sneezing repeadtedly!PANICKING!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiyo, Jul 28, 2010.

1. chickiyo

chickiyo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    I was just rounding up my two chicks, right now to put them in their hutch for the night when I noticed my black chick, repeatedly started sneezing! She just kept sneezing, and sneezing! She did not sneeze like this an hour ago! I am so scared, I have no idea what happened to her!

Has she been sting by a bee, has she contracted some disease? Please PLEASE PLEASE help. I have become so attached to these two chicks, I don't know I would do if I lost one of them, I got them a while after I lost my other pet to help me get over the loss.

I am in a state of total panic, literally, so I really need fast answers!

2. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Relax is the first thing you should do.

Everyone is going to ask more questions so start by giving more info so they can help. How old are they, breed, housing, bedding, feed, changes to feed or bedding, have they been around any hay that might be moldy, have they been around any other birds, were they ever on medicated feed, any other symptons? funny looking poop, nasal drainage, eye drainage, listless, not drinking, not eating, wings droopy

Then tomorrow I would go to the feed store and get some powdered antibiotic and some electolyte/vitamin powder, probably some kind of anticeptic/antibiotic ointment, some 7 dust, some apple cider vinegar, some no iron poly visol, and some prep H. I am a semi newbie too so I have spent the last year or so making lists of all the stuff people have needed and did not have on hand. I then started gathering these things so when emergencies pop up I was not feeling helpless till the stores open.

If they caught something and you caught it early then you can start treating it early. Deep breathing would be good right now.

3. chickiyo

Jun 21, 2010
    Thanks for the advice. *deep breaths*

Sorry, I should have included more information, I guess I wasn't thinking straight.

Both the chicks are one and a half months old. We use paper shreddings as bedding and they have graduated to sleeping outside in the chicken hutch recently. These are the only two chickens I have. The one who is sick is a black Brahma chick, and her sister is a Buff Orpington. So far they have been perfectly healthy, no runny poop, eyes, or nose. They have been very active and are outside pecking for bugs in their big run all day. The sneezing just recently started, around an hour ago.

4. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Probably by morning you will have tons of advise pouring in. Obviously they are asleep now. Again I am a relative newbie but I would not treat em with anything just yet. See if its still doing it tomorrow. I have one chicken who has been sneezing for well over a month now. I have given up trying to find the source at this point. The bird is healthy and I am putting it down as allergies lol. Watch your birdie. If you really think it is sick separate them for now. Watch it carefully to see if it is eating and drinking and pooing fine. I would double check for sources of mold or mildew. I know a couple of mine had a day or 2 of sneezing when they ran away to the old barn which had of course old hay in it. They never got really sick. They sneezed and snorted for a day or so and then seemed fine.

I am not sure if paper bedding could cause it. I know some will not use it at all. Might try switching them to pine shavings or such.

Hopefully there is more advice from the experienced crowd tomorrow.

5. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:I'm new also... I'd not had any of mine sneeze repeatedly, but one did sneeze quite a bit off and on... she is fine now, i think the bedding bothered her, but not sure. They all went through a stage of runny poo, so it could have been a bug. They all ate fine etc... It might be something she got in her little nose that is setting the sneezing off and when it moves, it will stop??? Hope all is well......

OH and it's ok to panic!! We all do that...... They are so little and tiny and depend on us.... I'm sure your note sounded more panicy than you actually were [​IMG]

6. chickiyo

Jun 21, 2010
    I took the chicks out into their run this morning, and the chick did not even sneeze once. I picked her up and checked her out, and she seems fine, no nasal discharge or anything like that, I think whatever it was it passed [​IMG]. I am so relieved, though I feel kinda silly, like those moms who take their children to the hospital for a bloody nose. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by