PLEASE HELP! MY CHICK IS LIMPING AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by catvader, Oct 18, 2013.

1. catvader

catvader Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2013
    my boyfriend and i are first time chicken owners and today, he had a break from work and came home for a bit. we checked on our chicks, they are 4-5 weeks old now, and we noticed one was limping... when we picked her up, we noticed her belly (near her legs & butt) were swollen.... i have pictures to post... please help!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    infection from umbilical mabey? is it soft ?

3. catvader

Sep 8, 2013
    The left side is soft and seems swollen... The big bulge on the right is hard

4. catvader

Sep 8, 2013

The left side is soft and seems swollen... The big bulge on the right is hard

5. catvader

Sep 8, 2013

Actually... I just felt it again and it is soft... Just not as soft as the left.... At first I thought she had a broken leg...my boyfriend is convinced its a tumor

6. catvader

Sep 8, 2013
    It looks like she has giant testicles... Someone please help!!

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. Fenika

Fenika Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    It could be a partial hernia, and that is best checked by a vet. Is her vent clear? What do her droppings look like?

Hernias create adhesions and pain and GI blockages, so are not to be played around with.

9. catvader

Sep 8, 2013
    Her droppings look normal, and her vent is clear... She's just very swollen and it looks like she has testicles. Im very worried about my little girl <\3
    [​IMG]

10. Fenika

Fenika Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    Yep, that really sounds like a hernia. You need a vet. It won't self correct as intestines are trapped there, and will only get worse as the guts become strangled. I would keep an eye on her and get her to a vet who can treat chickens on Monday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by