Please Help My Chicken!!! Attacked By Others

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchik715, Dec 23, 2010.

1. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    So I had an injured chicken and I got her mostly healed up and I introduced back into the flock. I did it slowly and with advice of you all. All was well for 3 days and now she is almost dead with her original wounds torn back open and her neck and face feathers are all tron out. She is hardly moving, eyes fluttering. Looks like she is barely alive or dead with involuntary movements left. I brought her in the house and will wait out the night to see if she survives but if she is alive what do i do with her? I would be reluctant to put her back in with the others for them to tear her apart again....and I had her in my kitchen for months. I can't take care of her for two more months in my kitchen. It was hard work getting her back to where i felt she was ready to rejoin the flock. I guess I am asking what would you do?

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    OMG, that was a lot of work. I've never worked at it as hard as you have. Well, if it were me I'd probably figure out how to separate the coop and run into two areas, the small side for picked on birds or young chickens (I figure I'd have to do it eventually) and put her in there with a buddy that she gets along with. There always seems to be someone who is the odd chicken out. I've kind of considered all these options as I'm doing some run and hen house remodelling because I've got one whose had some injuries from the same thing. Poor sweet little thing. I used some of that Rooster Booster no-pick. It helped some but I've been improving and expanding their place and giving them more protein and things to make it more interesting. She seems to be holding her own right now. She does favor me and follow me around and I do give her preferential treatment with food and so forth. When I go out of town though I always make sure there's more than one water and food source and she has a nesting box she hides in when she's scared. Anyway, I hope your girl makes it and that you find some resolution to the situation. Some might separate out the most aggressive bird and that's always an option too.

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    If she makes it you have a few options. 1) Re-home Some people will even take her "as is" and learn/improve their chicken medical skills 2)Build/make/find a separate dwelling/pen/coop for her. It does not have to be huge. Just big enough for her and/or a few chickens. With all the torture she has had I seriously doubt she will be "lonely". 3) cull---sometimes the situation is too bad and stressful making recovery nearly impossible 4) Heal her up fully and try again.
    *Note---These are not your only options, but just to give you an Idea. Decide what is best for her first and then you.

4. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Here was the simple remodel for me. Right now I have the nesting boxes inside the coop. It's not a great set up and some roost in the boxes and on top which is messy. It's not a real roomy coop but theres some wasted space underneath the nesting boxes. What I thought was take those out and screen off that part and make a separate door out to the run which is in back. Screen off an area of the run. The first thing I'd have to do is add nesting boxes to the outside of the coop. I'd like to do that anyway so I can have egg access without going in. I've even thought of setting up the hanging feeders (I don't even have them yet) but hang them so both sides can access. It may not be practical but it is just a thought.

Eventually you may be able to reintroduce. I got a half dozen new hens last year and I think that's why this all started. They are a bunch of ravenous little peckers. They peck my shoes, they peck food out of my hand (hard), they'll try and grab an earring, one even pecked the cherry off my cigarette [​IMG] so I can see how they can be a pack of trouble. Lately the older hens are hanging out and getting along fine.

My oldest hen actually started out this problem. She is a big old aracauna who is about 9 years old now. The rooster was doing her all the time because she was easier to mount being so big. (For awhile I had two young roosters and they'd get her somewhere and well, you know, I could tell this made her very angry.) Well, for some reason, she started going after this little RIR and it would cause the rooster to mount the RIR. If the rooster mounted the RIR first, well then this old hen would attack the RIR as he was mounting her. Vicious cycle, amounted to beating and mounting every two minutes. To this day the RIR is afraid of the rooster (he's not a bad guy) but gets along fine with the old aracauna (old hen probably never forgave me for having her boyfriend, the love of her life, culled many years ago, anyway, long story). But smart old hen found a way to keep the amorous rooster away and have his attention on the little RIR instead. Clever girl. Now the younger hens have taken over that roll so the pressure is off the older gals. [​IMG] Of course the rooster thought the whole thing was a great idea! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  5. busdriver9799

busdriver9799 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    We have this problem but with four not just one. We seperated into two coops, one in the front by the house for the injured ones the others are in the main coop in the back. We tried to reintegrate them with bad results so they're just seperated now. Personally it's not a big deal for . If I let the front ones out in the yard I make sure the back ones are secured. Like yours we were pretty sure the attacked ones would die. They made it, two have very bad limps but can walk, the other two show no signs of their injuries. Good luck.

6. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    Thank you for your advice. She died last night.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

8. willowbrook1

willowbrook1 New Egg

Jul 28, 2009
    I am so sorry you lost her. You tried very hard. Thanks for sharing this with us as we've learned how to deal with it when it's our turn.

9. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Poor little thing...gosh, what a disaster. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. You really went above and beyond for her.

10. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Sorry she did not make it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by