PLEASE HELP! My chicken has lice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Radioactive Egg, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Radioactive Egg

Radioactive Egg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hi,
    Today my chicken, Hilda, has been acting a lot stranger than she has for the past month. She has recently been walking slowly, doing funny poos (going on for the past month), and not being very active. Today I checked her vent and around it was very red, with no feathers. I haven't seen her go to the toilet AT ALL today.Today her end of her comb was dark purple, and when I let the others out to run, I had to cajole her out of the coop. As soon as I put her in the middle of the grass she walked into the corner of the garden. When I put her into the coop, she slowly went to her box.
    From previous knowledge, she has lice. I checked and there were heaps. I gave her a bath in wool mix and water and blow dried (it worked before).
    She's still acting the same :( I picked her up and she closed her eyes. She's doing that quiet often and I'm getting worried.
    Is there anything to do to save her? Can I give her a laxative or something to kill the lice?
    PLEASE HELP!!!
    -Radioactive Egg out

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Why would you want to give a bird a laxative when she's already weak from external parasites? A laxative would kill her and the lice too, if that's your goal.
    Give her electrolytes and/or buttermilk mixed with scrambled egg to help rebuild her immune system and rebuild her strength until she is able to eat layer feed on her own.

3. Radioactive Egg

Oct 13, 2014
    Perth, Western Australia
    Thanks :) Yeah, I thought a laxative was a bit far-fetched...
    The scrambled egg and buttermilk sounds like a good idea, never heard of that one before. I will try it! What's the recipe?
    Thank you again [​IMG]
    -Radioactive Egg out

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Have you tried dusting her with Sevin or Garden and Poultry dust to get rid of the lice? You need to dust her and probably all of them since if one bird has them most likely they all do to some extent. You also have to strip and treat the coop. Then repeat it all in 10 days to get what hatched in the meantime. It may take several treatments but if you stay on top of it you should be able to get it taken care of. But if you don't repeat the treatment the eggs will hatch and you'll be right back where you started very quickly.

Your bird may have other problems as well though. You need to check her body condition, see if she feels thin or if she has any bloating or swelling of her lower body that may indicate more serious problems. Have they ever been dewormed?

5. Radioactive Egg

Oct 13, 2014
    Perth, Western Australia
    She's not showing any of the symptoms mentioned (thank god).
    I will try and find this 'Sevin or Garden and Poultry dust' and treat them. Hilda seems to be on the road to recovery - her comb is red and butt less swollen. I've been meaning to clean the coop for a long time and will do so. No more procrastination after I've seen what it can do!
    -Radioactive Egg out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by