Please help my chicken i just got is sickšŸ˜”

Maciem6691

Hatching
Jan 14, 2021
A few new chickens i just bought are sick with a respiratory issue..im not sure what it is. I dont have a vet i can take them 2. A few of the chickens have like this gurgleing inside their chest it sounds like. The one thats really bad is sneezing and shaking her head when she does it. Its really a high pitched sneeze and she will open her mouth sometimes like shes gasping for air. Also she wheezes like all the time. But shes still getting down off the roost and walking around eating and drinking. I just treated them all with tetracycline and it didnt seem to do anything for her accept make her more active. I ordered a treatment off ebay of tetracycline. It comes in 5 little packages with chickens on the front. And i have been using vet rx also. If anyone knows anything an can give advice id appreciate it.

Last edited:
Tetracycline is a perfectly adequate antibiotic for respiratory issues. You need to double check you have mixed it correctly and the dose is right. The most common respiratory chicken illness is similar to the common cold, and it could be a few days before you see improvement.

Tetracycline is a perfectly adequate antibiotic for respiratory issues. You need to double check you have mixed it correctly and the dose is right. The most common respiratory chicken illness is similar to the common cold, and it could be a few days before you see improvement.

I was thinking 5 days worth wouldnt be enouph but i followed the instructions and had my boyfriend and dad help me wiyh the dosage. I poured 1 packet in with 2 liters of water then poured it into the water dish for them

But since it didnt seem to do anything it makes me wonder if it could be a fungle respiratory issue..because the place they come from was very dirty an poopy. Dirty black water. Poop caked on everything. And i also wonder if it may be gape worm. I was thinking of trying oxine ah put in a fogger to fog the coop to get rid of any fungle respiratory issues. It says its anti fungle, anti bacterial, and anti viral. And see if that helps next. But if that dont fix it the only thing i could think of to do after that would be to treat for gapeworm.

Any soluble medicine mixed with water must be mixed fresh each day.

Oxine in a mister will be a big help in fighting a respiratory disease. Do if you're able.

Give the antibiotic a chance to work before you change to an anti-fungal such as fluconazole.

Gape worm is very rare and probably not the cause.

Any soluble medicine mixed with water must be mixed fresh each day.

Oxine in a mister will be a big help in fighting a respiratory disease. Do if you're able.

Give the antibiotic a chance to work before you change to an anti-fungal such as fluconazole.

Gape worm is very rare and probably not the cause.

When i was dosing them with the tetracycline i did dose everyday. I dumped out the dirty water an would pour another 2 liters of meds in each day. They have a heated water dish and i usually change it once in the morning and once at their bed time. I dont think i have a mister. I did read that fogging them with a fog machine with the oxine ah is best method..an my dad does have a fogger. Should i treat them with that first and then treat them with the fluconazole? These chickens i bought are just starting to lay eggs and the woman that had them let them free range. Most are laying already but my brown leghorn that is sneezing and stuff has yet to lay an egg and its been about a month that ive had them. They are such sweet girls and so well behaved and cute..i really just want them to get betteršŸ˜” thank you so much for your advicešŸ˜Š i will definitely give them meds a try then. I did try calling vets and none in my area see chickens and its upsetting because i really wish i could just know what the issue is. The closest one to me is an hour away and they are pretty pricey. Its 50 dollars just for visiting that vet. Not including anything els they do or medications and money is tight right now for me unfortunatelyšŸ˜•

Foggers, misters, vaporizers all deliver the medication in a mist of water vapor and all will get the job done if positioned so the chickens are breathing the mist.

Respiratory illness is usually easily treated.

To post a video to BYC, you need to load it to You Tube first, copy the URL then paste that here. The video will then embed automatically.

I treated with tetracycline for 5 days and its been over 8 days since the last dose. Should i switch to the oxine ah next or try a different type of anti bacterial before i go to the oxine ah.

I would try the Oxine mist now. It will work on bacterial and fungus thatmay be present in her upper respiratory tract. Tylan 50 or Tylosin soluble powder is a good respiratory antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom