please help, my chicken is dying, suspected myco or mareks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by barnevelderbean, Aug 9, 2014.

1. barnevelderbean

barnevelderbean New Egg

Jul 16, 2010
    middlesbrough
    hi guys,
    im wondering if anyone can help me. backstory - I got a pol Orpington from a breeder who told me her hens were vaccinated, clearly not, since getting this little girl 3 weeks ago, she has been ill, rales started the first day, we tried tylan for 3 days and she seemed to perk up, then the wheezing started back up, and she seemed to lose the use of her legs, my suspicion went from mycoplasma to mareks disease as she was unable to walk properly and was showing some symptoms. she went on baytril for 3 days, then when this didn't work put her on doxycycline under instruction from another breeder. within a couple of hours she stood up and was preening etc, but was advised to go back to baytril as it seemed it was that that had done its magic, not the doxy, as she hadn't had it in her long enough to have any effect. baytril for the last week. no improvement.
    I came back from work just now to find her lying on the floor (shes been living in the house) thought she was dead, but she isn't, she is however all floppy, not really moving, breathing shallow etc. shes sitting on my knee and I feel like she is going to die in my arms soon. should I just be soothing and stay with her until the end? or does anyone have any last ditch ideas I can try to save her? there is of course a third option, but I hate doing it.
    any advice would be wonderful, I just don't know what to do
    thanks x

2. soggybottommini

soggybottommini Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    Baytown Texas
    It may be to late for her, but if she is droopy and sneezing and all that next time give her tylan 50 injection under the skin in her leg with a tiny insulin needle, u can get tylan 50 at tractor supply or any vets supplies store.

3. barnevelderbean

barnevelderbean New Egg

Jul 16, 2010
    middlesbrough
    I think ive just about lost her, she has curled up on my lap and is barely breathing, don't think she is hurting though. I don't really want to euthanize now because it will just be stressful. i managed to get some tylan from another poultry person, same with the other stuff, but our vets will not prescribe it without seeing the bird (they arent open on sat) and we cant just buy it in the uk, all the feed places say we need a prescription. i will however look into getting mail order from usa if that is possible for the future. im dosing my other hens with 3 days of antibiotic just as a precaution, because im worried they my have caught something from this one. trying to get meds for birds is a bit of a nightmare over here :(
    thankyou for the advice though, useful to know either way :) x

4. soggybottommini

soggybottommini Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    Baytown Texas
    Oh im so sorry,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by