*PLEASE HELP my chicken is very sick*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bite the dust, Apr 16, 2017.

1. bite the dust

bite the dust New Egg

Apr 16, 2017
    Hello all,
    I am new to raising chickens I've had them for about 6 months now and they just started laying we've had 0 complications the best pet ever until now.
    3 days ago I noticed something was up with my Delaware "whitey" she was limping something was wrong with her right leg. I inspected and there were no wounds, no swelling, she didn't seem in any kind of pain while I was handling her, she just refused to use it. So I segregated her and noticed her poop was the consistency and color of milk, no kind of texture at all. I gave her a warm bath and some calcium spiked water. This was about 3 days ago.
    Now it seems as though she has lost movement in both her legs, she won't move them at all. She keeps them ticked underneath her toes curled in. Her stool is still milky white with some broken down food now. And just today started panting a lot. She is eating and drinking, her comb looks good, crop feels good. but I'm very concerned and don't know what else to do, and still can't find the source of the problem.
    Please help she is my 4 year olds favorite [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you start her on some poultry vitamins in their water, or give her PolyVisol no iron baby vitamins 3 drops by mouth daily? She could have a vitamin deficiency, but Mareks disease could be another possibility. Do you know if she was vaccinated for mareks? Since she is lame, I would make sure that she is close to her food and water. mareks can cause small tumor on the nerves and other organs in the body. Early signs can include weakness or paralysis in one or both legs or wings. It can also can skin problems, tumors anywhere in the body,and eye changess that lead to blindness.

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she eating and drinking okay? Make sure that she is getting vitamins, since riboflavin deficiency can cause curled toe paralysis, where the toes are curled under and they walk or stand on their hocks. Eventually that can lead to toal lameness. Mareks disease can also cause similar symptoms with paralysis of one or both legs, wings, and sometimes can cause a twisted neck. They can starve to death because of not being able to reach food and water. The white droppings can be a sign of dehydration. A chicken sling or chair would be good for her for short periods throughout the day to get her up and keeping her cleaner, and able to reach food and water placed near to her. If you should lose her or put her down because of her suffering, it would be helpful to find out whether she had Mareks or not. A necropsy done by your state vet or poultry lab could be done if you promptly refrigerate the body in a plastic bag, and contact them. I will send more info about that.

4. bite the dust

bite the dust New Egg

Apr 16, 2017
    I was curious of what kind of medicine or supplement I could be giving her. I did give her some water mixed with calcium, and water mixed with vitamin c 2 desperate occasions/ days. She was vaccinated before I got her, at least that's how I ordered her. I don't know if I would call it paralysis she has when I try to move her leg around especially around her toes I do feel her resist me a tiny bit. She is eating and drinking during the day I have her laying on a soft blanket with water and food right there and about every hour or two I'm checking on her and trying to get her to eat and drink which she often does. I just recently learned about slinging them do you have any suggestions she is a little big id say around 6 or 7lbs

5. Chelski24

Chelski24 New Egg

Apr 17, 2017
    Hopkinton, RI
    Hey everyone.
    I don't know how to start my own thread yet. My family and I just got out first set of seven chicks yesterday 6 seem to be doing great while one seems to be lethargic. I haven't seen her eat. I'm not sure how to help her. They are only a couple weeks old. She just stands there and sways back and forth till she practically falls over face first. She is the one by the food dish getting stepped on. :/

[​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I would take the chick out and start giving her water with electrolytes. If she is sleepy, hunched, and having runny poops, I would start some Corid to treat for coccidiosis. Here is where to start your own thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10 https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Bite the dust--Get some poultry vitamins from your feed store or TSC, and read the label to see that it contains B2 or riboflavin. Alternatives would be to give 1/2 of a crushed vitamin B Complex tablet in her food or a treat every day, PolyVisol no iron baby vitamins 2 drops daily, or give a small amount of chopped liver daily. Below are example of chick chairs and slings. I would only leave the chick in there for a few hours at a time. They can struggle to get out, and can get hurt, so keep an eye on them. Place food and water close enough to reach.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  8. bite the dust

bite the dust New Egg

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks a lot! I'm heading over to tsc now. And ill see if I can fashion something to make her more comfortable. I'll be back with any updates. Thanks again for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by