please help. my chicken laid only a yoke and is now bleeding very bad.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gwen14, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Gwen14

Gwen14 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2013
    Oregon
    I went out to the coop today and there was blood and only a yoke in the nesting box. I instantly found the sick chicken. She has blood all over her back side and is pale in color. And the other chickens are pecking at her. She's alone in the coop now. Please help!

2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    I would bring her in and clean her up to find out where the blood is coming from. She may have broken the egg inside her and the pieces will need to be removed. There is a post about this in the forum (maybe. several) on how the egg pieces were removed.

After cleaning start checking very gently checking her abdomen checking for broken egg, may have to glove up and lubricate finger to check internally. If she is shocky give some electrolytes and water, possibly also isolate in quiet warm dark place to calm her too.

1 person likes this.
  3. Farmgirl1000

Farmgirl1000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
  4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Whatever you do, just keep her from the others or put Blukote, or my favorite Rooster Booster Pick No More on her backside or they will pick her apart. Had a group of sexlinks a few years ago that started picking each other & luckily I caught it before major damage, but there was lots of blood. Good Luck.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by