1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Please help! My chicken layed her first egg!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cynthia 085, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Songster

May 4, 2014
    CO
    She is a beautiful Red Production Pullet.

She is only 14 weeks and two days old.
    She started to lay eggs already why?
    I though we had to wait until 18 weeks to switch the food.

For now should I get some calcium and switch the food?

Thanks
    Very unexpected. Our first egg was found in the yard smuched.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Boy that is one precocious pullet! The commercial production breeds are bred for really high and early egg production, you just happened to get a really early one. You could offer oyster shell on the side and keep the flock on starter/grower or an All Ages/ Flock Raiser type food for another month or more until more of the hens start laying... a lot of people with mixed flocks do that all the time instead of ever using Layer. Sorry the egg was smashed, hopefully you will get some good ones!

1 person likes this.
  3. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Songster

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Hi

Yes I did put in a dish filled with calcium for her to eat if she needs or wants it.

Earlier today she looked a bit tired and I had no idea why until I saw the egg opened in our yard.

Will she be OK? I am worried about her.

I know chickens lay eggs, but I know her first time was hard. I wished I would have been prepared and noticed beforehand.

I am not sure what I could do to help, but I feel so bad ( I was unaware she would start laying eggs early and not prepared). She is a very good chicken. She lets us pick her up with no issues.

Since I am a new egg (No wait I am Just hatched yay!!!) and new to chickens I had no clue this could happen.

Well thank you very much.

I will do as you say and have her just eat her regular starter grow food with a side of calcium for her to eat. We do have two other chickens that are not laying yet.

When will the others start laying eggs? We have a Buff and a Ancona.

This brings up another issue. We have new silkie chickens. The oldest one is @2 months old. How will we go about feeding them when they are with the others? The others will be laying eggs months ahead of these silkies.

What can I do in this situation so that the big ones can eat their food and the silkies remain in the starter grow food until they are older?

Another question: Can we eat the red pullets eggs eventhough she is not on flock feed?

Thanks sorry for so many questions. I come here and read and ask questions, but the more I ask the more questions I have.

Thanks again
    Cynthia

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  4. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    You can keep her on the same food until it's time to switch everyone over. You are doing right by offering free-choice oyster shell. Yes, you may eat the eggs.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Songster

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Oh Ok. So even with the silkies small I can keep them all in the same food until everyone is ready to switch over?
    Cool.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If she lays more eggs they will be fine to eat even if she is on chick food, she may not lay another egg right away also, sometimes they do do that, lay one egg then not lay another for days or even weeks. She should be OK, sometimes it is hard on them laying those first eggs, think a lot of it is they are upset because they really don't know what is going on.
    Buffs especially and Ancona aren't usually as fast to lay as the straight production birds, usually expect them by around 24-28 weeks, but you never know, as you found out!
    Ya, you can feed the Silkies the same thing as the others, you might find it easiest to use either a Starter or a Flock-Raiser/All Ages type food, usually around 18-20% protein... just keep the oyster shell available on the side for the hens that need it. That is actually what I do all the time with my flock, everybody does fine like that including the Silkies and chicks that are raised by broodys. Most Layer food is around 16-18% protein, so they are getting a little more than they supposedly need (protein is money and 16% seems to be where the break even point is commercially for money vs egg production), if you feed treats to the older birds you are probably lowering the protein a percent or two anyhow.
    One thing, Silkies can be a problem in a mixed flock, getting bullied and getting their crests plucked etc, Sex Links do tend to be fairly pushy birds, so you may have problems when you try to combine them... you may need to keep them separate permanently in a coop type situation (if you mainly free range your flock or have a lot of extra room you may be OK).

1 person likes this.
  7. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Songster

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Thanks for the information.

Things are starting to clear up and I know what I must do to take care of my girls properly.

Yea we do give our ladies treats. Some veggies, some fruit, and meal worms. Not all at once, but once every so often.

ah! I see so they are just going to be eating a bit more protein than they should, but they should be fine because of the treats. I see....

They free roam; they also eat grass and weeds out in the yard. We no longer have dogs; when we got the red reproduction pullet and the other two they got to free roam in all the yard with no issues. Still today they just hang out in different parts of the yard.

Yea I did read that silkies had the possibility of being bullied. However, I have taken extra precaution and I have not mixed them yet as they are not old enough, but I do allow the big ladies to see the little ones; and the little ones to see the big birds so they can get used to each other. Both feel safe and not stressed. Little by little they should be OK.

I agree that Stuwie (our red reproduction pullet) is a bit "bossy", but I think it will be Ok; she is very docile even among the Ancona and the Buff. I think once the pecking order is established they should be fine and they should get along fine.

I think since our yard is really really big there should be no issue.

I am aware that if things do not turn out well I need another chicken coop and that should be OK too. I have a lot of yard space and another chicken coop is not an issue.

Thank you very much for all of your help! I greatly appreciate it!
    Cynthia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by