please help my chicken:(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kelso roosters, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Kelso roosters

Kelso roosters Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    I think my chickens egg bound how can I help please help me she's one of my best chickens:(

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Okay, oil up a finger and examine for feeling an egg. If you can feel it, see if you can use an oily finger and move finger around the egg and see if you can gently unstick the egg. Some people set them in warm water in a quiet area, and see if they relax enough to pass the egg. The one I had was stuck to the skin in there, and it took about an hour and 6 times of getting oil around the egg and working on unsticking it from the skin. Let her sit on the nest in between

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Put some Vaseline or oil on your finger to make it slippery, and then stick it into your hens vent. A stuck egg will feel like a hard ball. If you feel something, and even if you don't, soak your hen's lower half for 15-30 minutes in 90-95 degree F. water. In most cases, this will cause the hen's muscles to relax, which will help the egg be laid. You can also give your hen some calcium (from a human calcium pill, finely ground egg shell, oyster shell, etc.), as that will strengthen the muscles in her oviduct.

4. Kelso roosters

Kelso roosters Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    Thank u guys so much I am going to try the hot bath and then try getting it out I'm just been so upset all day I really love my chicken I will keep u guys posted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by