Please help, My chickens are dying!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WheezersMom, Sep 28, 2013.

1. WheezersMom

WheezersMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    On Tuesday, one of my cubalayas was acting strangely. She wasn't eating when everyone else ran for their breakfast. She was walking slowly and had her head sunk down. She is normally very active so I was worried. I separated her from the flock and examined her. She seemed very thin. On Wednesday, she was more lethargic and wasn't eating anything at all. Friday, she died. I did a necropsy and her crop was full of undigested corn and some grass. I examined her intestines and did not find any worms. Liver looked normal color, gizzard was full of rocks but not grain. The exam also confirmed that she was very thin no fat at all. On Friday one of my Polishes was exhibiting the same symptoms. I thought that from what I found on the other hen it might have been impacted crop. So I tried to make her vomit without much success, so I did the surgery. (I have experience with surgery, but it was still very stressful). She perked up after the surgery and I was hopeful that I had solved the problem. I last checked her at 2 am this morning and she was walking around and drinking water with her head up. This morning she was gone. I went out to the coop and my other Polish is doing the same thing!!!! I isolated her in the house as it has been a little chilly. I don't know what to do. I feel like such a failure because they are dying and I don't know why. I called the vet and none of the vets in my area have any experience with birds and none seem to understand why I am upset. I need help. The crop on my chicken feels squishy, the other two had watery diarrhea. If it matters the weather has been unusually wet lately. They are kept in a sheltered area, but no internal house. I feed layer ration and scratch grains. The corn was from some I gave them before I learned it could cause impacted crop. They were all hatched from Ideal Poultry and vaccinated for Marek's. All were hatched in May. No eggs yet.

2. WheezersMom

Jul 3, 2013
    I also would like to add that they do not have access to any other birds. All of my chickens have some diarrhea and always have. 3 of my other hens look like they are starting to do the same thing.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Coccididosis?????

Was there any blood in her stool?????

Have you had a lot of rain and wet weather lately?????

4. WheezersMom

Jul 3, 2013
    Not this week, but the week before it was very very wet. I did not see any blood in her stool or the intestines when I did the necropsy. It was clear with the white that is normal for chickens.

5. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
  6. WheezersMom

Jul 3, 2013
    Thank you for any help at all.

7. joycespell

joycespell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2013
    Rickman,TN
  8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I would look at Coccidiosis as possibly the problem. Some symptoms of cocci are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly,general look of unwell. Older hens can have a overload/outbreak of cocci. Cocci kills very fast if left untreated. If symptoms match purchase Corid(amprolium)dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chickens for 5-7 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with the ability of medication to work properly)give vitamins after treatment is complete. Cocci is spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings,can be spread by birds,bringing it into your area on your clothes/shoes/hands,etc,bringing in new chickens to your flock. Chickens are only immune to the strains they have had prior exposure to.

9. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    geez, i dont know about any of those things but all in, throw all your food away too and buy fresh

10. WheezersMom

Jul 3, 2013
    Thank you so much for your help. I feel so helpless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by