Please help! My dog attacked my female duck

New_to_the_chick_bizz

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2022
Woke up this morning to find two of my Akitas inside my chicken pasture. One was into of one of my female ducks while the other was chasing around some chickens. Apparently my children left the gate open last night after putting up the animals.
With that being said, I noticed that Erma (duck) had missing feathers and spots of blood. I’m going to attach some pictures so hopefully you guys can understand the damage done. But the wound on Erma’s butt is a flesh wound with feathers missing, there’s feathers missing in two spots on her back, but one of those spots is also missing the top layer of skin. There is also a flesh wound on one of her wings. Her neck is the worst as it is missing skin down to the neck muscle. You can literally pull the skin away. I can’t take off work to take her to the vet, however I was able to seclude her from the rest of clock out of the pasture in an old dog cage. My vet only takes walk-ins from 8-3 which I won’t be able take Erma to the vet at all. After I put her in the cage with a bowl of water, she layed an egg. Please help me.

Attachments

• 2FA69B0A-3238-4DAB-A0D2-A38C095EF4AA.jpeg
    2FA69B0A-3238-4DAB-A0D2-A38C095EF4AA.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 22
  • B817F3A2-9F35-4925-912F-414D2540C0AE.jpeg
    B817F3A2-9F35-4925-912F-414D2540C0AE.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 12
I am so sorry, but also thankful you didn't find any dead ducks or chickens.

Did you clean her wounds and check her over clean down to the skin to make sure all wounds besides the one on her neck are superficial?

A nice warm saline rinse to clean out wounds is a good start and keeping her inside would be best. That way you can monitor her eating drinking and pooping and make sure no infection is happening. Plus you don't say where you live so if you are still having flies you def want to keep her from them so eggs and maggots don't appear. The neck wound could probably use stitches if skin is still there but torn. Since your saying you can't get her to the vet then all you can do is keep her clean away from flies and make sure she is eating and drinking. Some wound spray is also a good way to keep infection away, Veterycin or other types of wound spray TSC probably has choices.

Last edited:
Unless the wounds are deep, you can treat them like you would any other cut. Give a good initial cleaning and apply an antibiotic ointment daily after that. Then just make sure to it stays clean and bug free. Your biggest concern right now is shock which will kill her faster than those wounds will. Keep her in a warm, calm and dark place with food and water available. Dose with electrolytes and vitamins to help with the stress. With the wound on her neck make sure you are wetting her feed into a mash. There is a good chance her neck is very sore which can make eating difficult.

I am so sorry, but also thankful you didn't find any dead ducks or chickens.

Did you clean her wounds and check her over clean down to the skin to make sure all wounds besides the one on her neck are superficial?

A nice warm saline rinse to clean out wounds is a good start and keeping her inside would be best. That way you can monitor her eating drinking and pooping and make sure no infection is happening. Plus you don't say where you live so if you are still having flies you def want to keep her from them so eggs and maggots don't appear. The neck wound could probably use stitches if skin is still there but torn. Since your saying you can;t get her to the vet then all you can do is keep her clean away from flies and make sure she is eating and drinking. Some wound spray is also a good way to keep infection away, Veterycin or other types of wound spray TSC probably has choices.
I’m currently in Grover, NC, I was only about to get her into the cage because I had to get the kids to school.

Unless the wounds are deep, you can treat them like you would any other cut. Give a good initial cleaning and apply an antibiotic ointment daily after that. Then just make sure to it stays clean and bug free. Your biggest concern right now is shock which will kill her faster than those wounds will. Keep her in a warm, calm and dark place with food and water available. Dose with electrolytes and vitamins to help with the stress. With the wound on her neck make sure you are wetting her feed into a mash. There is a good chance her neck is very sore which can make eating difficult.
I don’t think the wounds are deep, I mean there’s no holes except for the small wound on her butt, that I’ve noticed. Her neck seems the be the worst wound out of all the spots I did see.

I’m currently in Grover, NC, I was only about to get her into the cage because I had to get the kids to school.
Keeping your injured duck quietly in a dog crate in the house is a good idea. I suggest that you use puppy pads in the bottom not pine straw so that there is no dust to get into her wounds.
You can bathe her in luke warm water in a bucket or washing up bowl. You might add epsom salts but be sure she doesn't drink the water.

For her wounds add 1 tablespoon salt to 1 pint previously boiled and cooled water ... NOTE that is a much stronger solution that for use on ducks' eyes. For eyes only 1 teasooon salt per pint of previously boiled and cooled water.

If the wound where there is skin loss has any debris in it, I would use hydrogen peroxide for the initial clean up, only. The hydrogen peroxide will fizz and bring out any debris from inside the wound. However, it is best not used repeatedly.

Spraying wounds with Veterycin is probably kinder than rubbing in antibiotic ointment, but the most important factor is to keep the wounds clean until healed.

Shock has already been mentioned. Keeping the duck in the house in a dogcrate -- covered with a curtain or sheet to keep her quiet and calm is vital for the first 24-48 hours

Keeping your injured duck quietly in a dog crate in the house is a good idea. I suggest that you use puppy pads in the bottom not pine straw so that there is no dust to get into her wounds.
You can bathe her in luke warm water in a bucket or washing up bowl. You might add epsom salts but be sure she doesn't drink the water.

For her wounds add 1 tablespoon salt to 1 pint previously boiled and cooled water ... NOTE that is a much stronger solution that for use on ducks' eyes. For eyes only 1 teasooon salt per pint of previously boiled and cooled water.

If the wound where there is skin loss has any debris in it, I would use hydrogen peroxide for the initial clean up, only. The hydrogen peroxide will fizz and bring out any debris from inside the wound. However, it is best not used repeatedly.

Spraying wounds with Veterycin is probably kinder than rubbing in antibiotic ointment, but the most important factor is to keep the wounds clean until healed.

Shock has already been mentioned. Keeping the duck in the house in a dogcrate -- covered with a curtain or sheet to keep her quiet and calm is vital for the first 24-48 hours
Thank you, I am going to run home during lunch to check on her and clean the wounds. I’m going to run to Tractor Supply after work to get the Veterycin. Is there any specific vitamins or other essential items I will need.

Back
Top Bottom