PLEASE HELP MY DOG Dx

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BeccaB00, Dec 11, 2010.

1. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Hi everyone so Im having more dog troubles.. my cattle dog/broder collie mix is so so so so sweet. But shes got some major problems

(in my eyes there major) So my parents simply CANNOT take her hyperness, so I let her outside to run, but when I let her out alls she does is wonder. She hardly even runs around. I could go play ball with her, yes, but she loses intrest with-in 5 minutes and starts

running off. earlier I had a good cry because of this dog. Shes always on the run for dead critters my cats kill, kitty POOP. and anything she can find, she eats. LITERALLY. I'm so scared shes going to eat somthing bad one day. She ALWAYS has her mind on food. When we adopted her she was soo calm, and sweet, but now shes just hyper, and to be honast a little annoying. She likes to jump up in peoples faces when they're sitting on the

sofa to. You guys, I love this dog TO DEATH. Shes MY dog, I saved my allowance for her,& her vet bills, and getting her a new home isn't an option in my mind, but I guess my question is, how can I let her exersize without paying a ton of money on fencing? She has to run HOURS a day to get rid of the hyperness, and I have to much to do to walk her for 3 hours a day. If I could I would, but I can't. please give me answers because at the moment, she stays in her crate whenever everyones here (I'm homeschooled) And that just can't stay like that.
    thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bridgit ^

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    You have a dog whose breeds were developed for hundreds of years to work for eight hours straight and still be ready to go after that. Keeping her inside is like trapping Lance Armstrong in your living room - he might be polite for a few hours but by the next day he's going to be dismantling your couch to make an exercise machine.

She wants to go in a straight line out because that's what matters to dogs. Some of the retrievers and sporting dogs will be happy fetching but for most dogs they want to "migrate" or hunt. Straight out until they find something interesting. Since she's a herder she'd probably like to go straight out until she finds a live animal to bring back to you.

She's eating everything because she's bored to tears. Fixating on food gives her brain something to do.

There isn't a solution for this except exercise. The more she's crated and the less she's exercised the worse it's going to get. I would actually NOT try to solve this with walking. She needs to run. Even a fenced yard isn't going to be enough for her. If you can't get her involved in herding or agility or flyball (and I understand if there's just not enough money for classes or no trainers nearby), spend the $30 on a sled dog harness and get her bikejoring or skijoring or even pulling you on rollerblades. If she can be at a dead run pulling some weight for two or three miles a day, which is only half an hour, you'll see a reduction in the craziness.

3. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I wonder if she doesn't need a different dog food or some kind of supplement in her diet. She shouldn't be eating everything she sees. It sounds like she needs a job to use her energy. I think she is bored, she's supposed to be a working dog. I'm sure you'll get some good advice from someone on here who will know what to do with her.

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I know. I understood what I was getting into with this breed, but I didn't think it'd be THIS much work. I know shes bored. I know she cant stand it, and I know I'm going to have to do more work on my part, but I just need to find somthing. We don't really have anywhere to roller skate or sled or anything..

5. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    She can go bikejoring on any road. If the road your house is on is too busy, throw your bike in the back of the car and have your parents drive you out a few miles to find a safer one. You can use a bike, a scooter, anything. Once she understands what you're asking, she'll go nuts for it.

6. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    How about putting her on a treadmill, or having her run along with you on a leash while you bicycle. Got an Atv or a snowmobile? How about working her in agility and obedience for an hour a day, or taking her for a hike at a park on a leash? How about taking her to a local dog park? How about tying her up so she isn't able to run off.

7. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Yes two breeds developed to be dedicated hard working animals. The dooers of the dog world and don`t buy into the repititous meaningless task of retreiving a stick or ball (although for some reason a frisbee often works). By keeping her mind and body busy I am sure the very lovely dog you adopted will be back...even more so because she will be your bonded friend.
    We had a border collie when my kids were young and just being with them and playing (and herding them around in her mind) kept her busy. In her mind that was her job. Finding a job for her and interjecting activity in her day will keep her mind active too. Agility training is a great suggestion that has been made. From your photos it looks like you have some equipment (slide) you could use at your finger tips to set up a little course for her. You can also do things like teaching her to play hide and seek with you. We also had a small boat float that we would hide for our Jesse and she would search and search to round that thing up and bring it to us.
    When we were busy in life our Jesse would also look for opportunities to escape the yard, roam about and come home after rolling in all kinds of stinky things, try to scam us out of as many dinners as possible..all signs to show us she was bored.
    Good luck. From what you say about saving for your dog and being responsible for vet bills yourself you show you are a responsible pet owner. I am sure all will work out fine when you learn more about your dog and she learns more about you. [​IMG]

8. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Bikejoring is a good idea. Walking is an excellent idea too. Even if you can't manage it for 3 hours a day, Just an hour will do wonders. I remember reading how wearing a back pack like the one pictured below, will help the dog with hyperness. Practice just having the backpack on at first, then eventually start putting objects in it, so she gets used to the extra weight. The dog now has a job to do and the extra weight of the pack will help her burn off more energy. Plus she can carry her own water, treats, etc. [​IMG] Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

Edited to add that she is adorable! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  9. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:Beautiful dog Moxiechick!

10. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Mrs. Feathers :

Quote:Beautiful dog Moxiechick!

Thanks, but the dog pictured isn't mine. Just an image I found on the internet. [​IMG]
    Here is my Moxie! (See my avatar as well!)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by