Please help! My Drake was attacked. (x-ray provided) His head is hanging. :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Smurfypop, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Smurfypop

Smurfypop New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    Ireland
    My poor Drake was attacked by a dog yesterday evening. He has three punctures, not too deep. He hasn't broken any bones as shown on his x-ray today
    The vet said it's just soft tissue damage and gave him painkillers and anti-inflammatory but i'm so worried about his head. He can't really lift it and I have to lift it to his water and food for him.
    He can lift his body up and it kind of gets his neck moving but he just flops back down after a few seconds. Could it be nerve damage? Any advice on what I could do with him?
    [​IMG].

2. spoikey

spoikey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    Sounds like his neck and breast muscles are severely bruised and it hurts to hold his head up. I had my rooster attacked by a fox and he had the same problem. He still has a bit of nerve damage but is doing well now. Took him about a month before he was able to hold his head normally again.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Time can help - how is he in a tub of lukewarm water? I would not leave him unattended, but tub time is a real boost for ducks.

I believe that TLC with the anti-inflammatories is probably going to work out well, he just needs your extra support right now. Glad you were able to get help.

I make a comfrey salve - I feel that herbal medicine can be a help - it is said to help healing. The thing with salve is that it's oily, so it could be a bit of a mess - you might want to read up and think about whether a comfrey compress (comfrey tea, cooled, in a clean cloth) might be worth a try once a day.

Also I find poultry vitamins for a boost is good, and maybe a tablespoon of cat kibble for a treat.

I would soak the kibble in water so it would not scratch the throat, which is already pretty sore.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    X2

X2

Thank goodness you were able to get him to a Vet. Sounds like he just needs some time to recoup. The anti-inflams. will help with what you are describing. And as Amiga said, a good warm soak really makes a difference. Be sure to keep him confined and away from any other ducks. Keep us posted.

1 person likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have a Rescue Duck hen that was attacked by a Fox and got her neck wrung....She has a thickness where her throat curves...[​IMG]
    This photo is the day I got her and only 3 days after the attack...She is the light coloured Duck....She had a hard time swallowing....They heal fast....I fed her a warm soupy mix the first couple of days....

Your poor Duck....Give it a little pat from me....I love Ducks!!!

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  6. Smurfypop

Smurfypop New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    Ireland
    [​IMG]

Thank you for your advice! It really helped. I gave him a bath and he perked up a bit.
    I put comfrey oil on his wounds. As you can see he lays like this a lot. I'm not sure which way to put his head.
    He is in my house for now.

Thank you so much, This post has really given me hope that he will get better. :) Your duck is beautiful. I love ducks too, I've had my fella since he was an egg!

Best Wishes,

Soph.

7. chickens really

You could try mixing simple sugar and water for him or corn syrup and water....Just a boost.....

Poor thing.....I have my fingers crossed he can over come this....They are tough.....I hope to hear great news in a couple of days...

[​IMG]

Cheers!

8. chickens really

Just a thought.....If you can give him a way to elevate his head and chest, fluid wont build up in his lungs if that happens?? so basically make him tilted upwards with his head up and feet down as he lays.....

Goodness I feel so bad for this Duck.......Brought back memories I guess?

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  9. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Poor thing. Glad the damage wasn't worse.

Perhaps you can lay a hot water bottle or heated pad under his neck and chest. The heat should help with the soreness and you don't have to keep constant supervision. I wish him a speedy recovery.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    X2, set him up on his chest like he would normally sit and prop some pillows around him. He's BEAUTIFUL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by