Please help my duck is really sick

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chriswardens52, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Chriswardens52

Chriswardens52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    Hello people . Today i noticed that one of my ducks is acting funny. He seems to be really lethargic. Before he usually ran around with all of his siblings. Now he just lays down and doesn't move that much at all. He won't even swim. He does seem to eat. He is just acting so funny I'm worried for him. if you need more info I will give it to you just ask. Thanks for any and all help.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:How old is your duck? and could he have gotten into some moldy food? do they free range? is it extremely hot where you live? what are you feeding your ducks?

3. Chriswardens52

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    He is 7 weeks. Their food did get a little wet. I am feeding them Purina Fowl Feed. Its been pretty cool. They do free range.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I know their food can get wet, if my ducks feed is wet I throw it away and give fresh the next day i don't save it for the next day, it can get moldy pretty quick. What about in the area where they are running around could he have eaten anything rotten? do ya'll spray pesticides around your yard or house? fertilizer? How many ducks do you have and are any of the rest acting the same as this one?

5. Chriswardens52

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    My ducks are in my backyard. We don't use pesticides. Could he have eaten a wierd bug? I have 5 other ducks running around with him and they are all fine.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Could have, my duckling is 6 weeks old and today I saw her pick up a small nail out of the dirt and thank goodness i was able to get it out of her mouth, they try any and everything. I am thinking if it ate something that has made it feel bad, it probably wouldn't have much of an appetite, you said it's eating and drinking good?
    How long have you had your ducks?

7. Chriswardens52

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    All of my ducks I have had since they have been laid. I hatch out all of my ducks. He doesn't eat as much or drink as much as usual. He still does both though.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How about poop does it look normal? have you looked over it's body for possible bug bite or injury? spider bites can make an animal sick. I wish i could help more but it's really hard to help much unless we where there to see for ouselves what is going on. How does the bottom of his feet look? legs okay no swelling or redness?
    how about his eyes, you can tell alot by eyes. Are they clear and alert? Have you listened to it's chest?

9. Chriswardens52

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    I have checked his body, and he seems to be fine. Be he does hang his head low. If that helps. I am so glad that this site is as helpful as it is . I will keep you guys updated.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Do you have any electrolytes? if so try putting some in his water. or some other type of vitamins like poultry drench. lots of vitamins in it. Will be thinking about you and your duck hope he gets well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by