Please help my duck is really sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chriswardens52, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Chriswardens52

Chriswardens52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    Hello people . Today i noticed that one of my ducks is acting funny. He seems to be really lethargic. Before he usually ran around with all of his siblings. Now he just lays down and doesn't move that much at all. He won't even swim. He does seem to eat. He is just acting so funny I'm worried for him. if you need more info I will give it to you just ask. Thanks for any and all help.

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    First, make sure he doesn't have any maggot infestions going on anywhere on his body, particularly his vent. Look him over carefully. Next, I don't know because I don't have any experience with ducks other than another poster here had a duck with maggots.

3. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    is it female or drake? how old? poopin normal? you said it's eating is it drinkin?

4. Chriswardens52

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    He is a drake. 7 weeks old. come to think of it I havent seen him drink or poop as much as he usually does.

5. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Is it super hot where you are? My girls don't do a whole lot of anything in this heat, including swim. Also, are you sure he is a he, could it be a female hiding a small nest (i ask because I have a female named Fred, only to find out because I found a very small nest under her when she was acting funny one day)? What type of ducks?

6. Chriswardens52

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    Its not that hot here. Im sure he is a he because he is getting his colors. Its a mallard .

7. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Yeah, those are a lot easier to tell sex in than white pekin. Is he molting? I remember sketchy and Fred being weird their first molt.

8. WilsonAcres

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    does he have all his feathers? if a baby duck gets wet or anything before they have all they're feathers they're prone to respiratory infections because they can't regulate they're body temperature yet so he may be cold. Ducks also get a little lethargic when they're getting the adult feathers because it's actually a little painful to them.Id make sure he's drinking and pooping and go from there.If you think it's a little more serious than i'd buy some durvet vitamins & electrolytes its a powder mix should make him feel a little better you could also try lemon-lime gatoraide or perdialyte just to make sure he's hydrated [​IMG] keep us posted ..anymore questions or changes contact me we'll figure it out

9. Chriswardens52

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    Well I guess he could be going through his molt. But wouldn't he still eat and drink alot.

10. WilsonAcres

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    they get cranky and lethargic when they molt they even get a little feverish its painful to them just keep an eye on the little guy im sure he'll be just fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by