Please help my duck is very sick

Dilpretzal

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2023
My ducks has suddenly become very unwell overnight. I woke her up this morning and she has been lethargic, not eating, hardly drinking and throwing up. She’s keeping her eyes closed but doesn’t look to be sleeping. I’ve tried giving her all her favourite foods but nothing is working. I went to the emergency vet and they said that she is very unwell but they are not too sure what with. They sent me home with medication for her (antibiotics and anti sickness I think). Hospitalisation would have cost me almost £2000 which I just cannot afford up front.

Please give me advice, anything at all. My entire family is heartbroken.

Right now, all you can really do is administer the antibiotics and keep her warm and comfortable.

What are you feeding? How old is she? Is she alone?
She has a temperature so I’m worried about how warm I should be keeping her.

She normally has pellets, veg and mealworms with grit but now she’s not eating so I’m trying to get her to just eat her favourites (peas and mealworms)

She’s a little over a year old and has one duck companion.

Okay, I thought it might have been a duckling, but she is obviously well feathered.

Since she isn't eating, try giving her some sort of electrolyte solution, as well niacin or a good vitamin B complex. I'm not sure what's available in the UK though... @BelovedBirds do you have any idea?

What breed is she? Has she been in any trauma lately? How is her companion?

My ducks has suddenly become very unwell overnight. I woke her up this morning and she has been lethargic, not eating, hardly drinking and throwing up. She’s keeping her eyes closed but doesn’t look to be sleeping. I’ve tried giving her all her favourite foods but nothing is working. I went to the emergency vet and they said that she is very unwell but they are not too sure what with. They sent me home with medication for her (antibiotics and anti sickness I think). Hospitalisation would have cost me almost £2000 which I just cannot afford up front.

Please give me advice, anything at all. My entire family is heartbroken.
First thing I'd be keep to rule out is whether or not she could've eaten something toxic. Pesticides on garden plants, mouldy feed, anything poisonous, there's a number of possibilities. It may be wise to give her activated charcoal to be on the safe side, you can put it in her water.

When did she last lay, is her crop empty and does her breath smell sour or abnormal at all?
Also photos of her and her poop would be helpful

Okay, I thought it might have been a duckling, but she is obviously well feathered.

Since she isn't eating, try giving her some sort of electrolyte solution, as well niacin or a good vitamin B complex. I'm not sure what's available in the UK though... @BelovedBirds do you have any idea?

We don't have the B complex that most folks use here, but we do have the option of niacin (flush effect, not flush free) capsules from health stores. It can be mixed in with the water to treat a deficiency.

We do also have nutri drench over here, which would be even better. Whenever my girls are feeling under the weather, I add a little to their water to give them a boost

Is there a electrolyte solution recipe you could recommend? All shops are currently closed because of the bank holiday.

She’s a mix of silver appleyard and Campbell. She hasn’t been in any trauma and my other duck is completely fine.

First thing I'd be keep to rule out is whether or not she could've eaten something toxic. Pesticides on garden plants, mouldy feed, anything poisonous, there's a number of possibilities. It may be wise to give her activated charcoal to be on the safe side, you can put it in her water.

When did she last lay, is her crop empty and does her breath smell sour or abnormal at all?
Also photos of her and her poop would be helpful
She last layed 2 nights ago, her breath isn’t abnormal and she isn’t pooping for me to send a picture :/

We don't have the B complex that most folks use here, but we do have the option of niacin (flush effect, not flush free) capsules from health stores. It can be mixed in with the water to treat a deficiency.

We do also have nutri drench over here, which would be even better. Whenever my girls are feeling under the weather, I add a little to their water to give them a boost
The niacin you have is fine. Please buy electrolyte solution sachets from your local chemist: they are sold for people/children with diarrhoea. Make up as the instructions on the packet. That will give electrolytes and a little glucose for energy. If you can dribble a little in her bill at the side if her tongue with a syringe until she takes it herself from a bowl, that will help

Good luck

Nurse her over this accite stage then think more about what might have caused her illness

She last layed 2 nights ago, her breath isn’t abnormal and she isn’t pooping for me to send a picture :/
No poop at all? Not even water?
If she hasn't been pooping, that's a bit worrying.
Is she panting, laying down, limping, or bobbing her tail at all?
If she has any of those symptoms, you may want to rule out her being egg bound. It's challenging with it being a bank holiday, but do you happen have any calcium gluconate to hand? The human powder supplement works.

Can you get a photo of her?

Back
Top Bottom