Please Help My Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by louandneil, Jul 15, 2011.

1. louandneil

louandneil Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    hi this morning I let my duck out of the duck house and she is struggling to walk. She was fine last night. I have felt her legs and feet and can't feel anything strange. Any suggestions

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    What are you feeding her? Ducks need niacin. There is not enough niacin in chicken starter.

3. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    I feed small holders duck growers pellets

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Who does she live with? Is there a drake who is aggressive with her? Might she be eggbound?

Egg binding can cause pressure on the nerves of the legs.

Could you try giving her a lukewarm bath in the tub, just let her swim in warmish water for a little while? I always give mine vitamin/eletrolyte/probiotic supplements when they feel puny.

Check her legs - see if you can feel if anything seems out of joint, or warm or swollen.

Check her feet for injury, too.

Check her vent - does it look normal?

5. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    She lives with a Drake but he is very gentle infact he is protecting her from the chickens as she is poorly. I checked her legs and they seem normal. I have put her in the pond for a little while and she had a wash and then I took her out as she was struggling. She is 14 week old would she be egg bound as she hasn't started laying yet? She is quite meaty however I did think she looked a bit off the other day.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    With ducks, there could be a few things going on. She may have an infection, or an internal problem that she was hatched with that is just showing up (as her egg-making system matures, for example). She could be overweight (you say she is meaty), which puts too much strain on her legs.

I would keep her somewhere quiet and safe, let her swim in clean lukewarm water, and if possible, contact a duck vet or waterfowl rehabilitator and get some help with her.
    [​IMG]

7. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    No I don't think she is overweight. I'll give her a bath and take her to the vets. Thank u for your help.

8. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    Actually I have just put her in the bath and the Drake is trying to get on her. Do you think he could have sat ob her and she has hurt it

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I'd keep the drake away from her, for sure. Drakes can in fact injure (rarely kill) a female. It depends on a number of factors. She may have an injury from him jumping on her. That's why I asked who she lives with. If there is one drake and one female, he may be too hard on her. A recommended ratio of drakes to females is minimum one to three, better is one to six (one boy, six girls).

So give her a rest from the guy - 24/7 for a while. He probably won't like it, especially if she's his only female. You might want to consider getting a few more girls if this is the case.

How are the feathers on the back of her neck?

Did you check her vent?

10. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    I'll def get some more girls. What do I need to look for in her vent? He did have some of her feathers in his beak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by